Multiplexers

lolmlol

Joined Oct 12, 2013
I want to make 8:1 mux using two 4:1 mux. practically. I want to make it using both, gates and multiplexer i.c. Please help me out soon.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
I want to make 8:1 mux using two 4:1 mux. practically. I want to make it using both, gates and multiplexer i.c. Please help me out soon.
Well, considering this is Homework Help you should start h\by stating what you need help on - note the difference between helping you and doing it for you (which we won't be doing).

Show us your work and a thought process and we will try to help you.

Is there a specific mux, or just one in general?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Is there a question in this? What is it that you would like help on? And how soon?

What do you consider to qualify as "practically"? Most people wouldn't consider making an 8:1 MUX using gates to be a very practical thing to do.

Which 4:1 MUX do you have in mind?

lolmlol

Joined Oct 12, 2013
Is there a question in this? What is it that you would like help on? And how soon?

What do you consider to qualify as "practically"? Most people wouldn't consider making an 8:1 MUX using gates to be a very practical thing to do.

Which 4:1 MUX do you have in mind?

Can we make 8:1 using 74LS153???
I don't hav much knowledge about MUX IC's.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Can we make 8:1 using 74LS153???
I don't hav much knowledge about MUX IC's.
No, the '153 doesn't consist of independent 4:1 MUXes, the two MUXes share the same select bits.

Instead of worrying about a particular chip, let's focus on a generic, no-frill, basic 4:1 MUX. We need to make sure that you understand your starting point.

What does a basic 4:1 MUX consist of? What are the inputs, what are the outputs, and how to the outputs relate to the inputs?

lolmlol

Joined Oct 12, 2013
Yeah, i know the basics... a 4:1 MUX consist of 4 inputs, 2 selection channel and 1 o/p.
whereas a 8:1 MUX consist of * i/p, 3 selection channel and 1 o/p... right??

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
There are two ways to solve your problem, the one is to make the function using logic IC, you can google 4 to 1 multiplexer then you can get a lots of infos.

The other one is as following, but I'm not sure you can buy the IC or not:

FST3253 - Dual 4:1 Multiplexer/Demultiplexer Bus Switch.

SN74HC4852-Q1 - DUAL 4-TO-1 CHANNEL ANALOG MULTIPLEXER/DEMULTIPLEXER WITH INJECTION-CURRENT EFFECT CONTROL.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
If you are going to use two 4-bit mux to make an 8-bit one, consider how you are going to select/combine their outputs.

mghg13

Joined Jul 17, 2013
hi,

I came across this type of mux expansion recently. I think you should make use of the enable lines. See the image for a circuit. I'm not sure if it is correct. verify with senior members

Attachments

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Yeah, i know the basics... a 4:1 MUX consist of 4 inputs, 2 selection channel and 1 o/p.
whereas a 8:1 MUX consist of * i/p, 3 selection channel and 1 o/p... right??
The main thing I asked for was the relationship between the inputs and outputs. After all, I can make lots of chips with six inputs and one output that are NOT a 4:1 MUX. But I'll just assume that you understand these relationships.

If you have 8 signals and 3 select lines, is it possible to group them into two sets of 4 signals having a shared pair of select lines and then use the third select line to choose between the two sets?

How might you go about that?