Multimeter Recommendation?

Sgt.Incontro

Joined Dec 5, 2012
Hi guys,

Looking for a half-decent digital multimeter, preferably a cheap one. One that is also durable-ish and doesn't have a cheap tacky feel to it, and with reasonable accuracy.

(Worth also mentioning that I am in the UK.)

Features:
True RMS (Preferred but not must)
Temperature (Preferred but not must)
Continuity Check (Must)
Resistance Mode (Must)
Capacitance Mode (Must)

Any recommendations? Is roughly a $60 budget OK?

(Apologies if this is the wrong section, please move if needed mods.)

EDIT: Also, what do people think of the Uni-T UT61E? Is it good quality? Seems to have all the features...

Last edited:

Unit

Joined Mar 23, 2013
I have a Cen-Tech 14 Function Professional Digital Multimeter that I purchased about a year ago from Harbor Freight tools. It cost $44 (£28.90) and it has surpassed my expectations. I think it is an off-brand version of this one from Mastech. I'm not sure about availability in the UK, but perhaps you could find something similar.

The Uni-T UT61E looks to be a competent multimeter. My opinion, however, is inconsequential as I've never used one before.

Last edited:

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
You can get a used Fluke 87 (not the 87V for $300+) for about that price on eBay.

You can re-calibrate/check calibration yourself. Best bang for the buck if you don't mind a scratch here and there.

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
check out UNI - T UT61E, it fit your requirements.

UNI - T is the OEM of fluke meter, their design is a lot like fluke (guess why) and their built quality is pretty good for the price.