Multi audio input to single headset

bwanna

Joined Nov 19, 2012
I'd like to create an interface that take multiple audio inputs (combination of stereo and mono types) and connects them to a single audio output, such that the inputs are isolated from each other.

My first thought is to use a 1:1 transformer approach. Maybe even customizing a transformer with multiple input windings and a single output winding.

Any thoughts?

The setup is to be used on my motorcycle, where I can connect the cell phone, gps, and ham radio into the interface and the output goes to my helmet headset. I'd like to maintain the stereo integrity of the cell phone so that I can listen to music.

Thanks all!!

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
This is known as an audio mixer. Basically, just a headphone amplifier with high input impedance then a resistor, typically 10K from each source to the input. Assuming the inputs are all at a level to drive headphones, the amp would only need a gain of 1.

Bob

bwanna

Joined Nov 19, 2012
This is known as an audio mixer. Basically, just a headphone amplifier with high input impedance then a resistor, typically 10K from each source to the input. Assuming the inputs are all at a level to drive headphones, the amp would only need a gain of 1.

Bob

So the transformer approach would not be appropriate?

Each of the sources are capable of driving the headphones.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
You could try just using a 33 Ohm resistor from each source, but this would reduce the level somewhat. If you can drive each signal high enough, it might work. How many sources Are we talking about? Hopefully, not more than 3 or 4.

Bob

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I'd like to create an interface that take multiple audio inputs (combination of stereo and mono types) and connects them to a single audio output, such that the inputs are isolated from each other.

My first thought is to use a 1:1 transformer approach. Maybe even customizing a transformer with multiple input windings and a single output winding.

Any thoughts?
rotary selector switch. about 69 cents.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I think he wants all the sounds to come through at the same time.

Bob

The setup is to be used on my motorcycle, where I can connect the cell phone, gps, and ham radio into the interface and the output goes to my helmet headset. I'd like to maintain the stereo integrity of the cell phone so that I can listen to music.
I would think is head would explode with all that at once....