Muito obrigado!

Coives

Joined Dec 31, 1969
Tenho quase a certeza que ninguém vai perceber nada do que eu vou praqui escrever, mas pronto, cá vai na mesma!

Pá, grande site, grande ajuda!

Brigadão!

Thanks a lot man! :D

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
Dave, I'll translate what the OP said:
I'm sure that nobody won't understand what I'm saying, but here he goes!

Dude, great site, great help!

Thanks!

Thanks a lot man! :D
Now what I don't understand is why he writes in Portuguese. Perhaps he feels more comfortable that way.

Of course you did your best, but you should say "Obrigado pelos seus comentários!" instead.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Dave, I'll translate what the OP said:

Now what I don't understand is why he writes in Portuguese. Perhaps he feels more comfortable that way.

Of course you did your best, but you should say "Obrigado pelos seus comentários!" instead.
Thanks for the fully translation, I did get the "great site" and "great help" parts. Also thanks for the correction of my reply, can I ask why "pelos" and not "para"? (Btw, my very, very limited knowledge/experience of Latin languages will be an obstruction to further discussions of this nature!)

Dave

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
I am almost sure that nobody will understand nothing of what I will praqui write, but ready, the same goes here!

Pá, grande site, grande ajuda! Pá, great site, great help!

Brigadão!

Thanks a lot man! Thanks a lot man!
my foxlingo translation.

funny, both "Obrigado para seus comentários!" and "Obrigado pelos seus comentários!"
both got translated to 'thank you for your comments.'

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
funny, both "Obrigado para seus comentários!" and "Obrigado pelos seus comentários!"
both got translated to 'thank you for your comments.'
Yes, and why I'm confused as I don't know the difference. Is this one of those situations where the word is, how do they say it, generderised? We don't have this in English so its an alien concept to me.

Dave

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
Yes, and why I'm confused as I don't know the difference. Is this one of those situations where the word is, how do they say it, generderised? We don't have this in English so its an alien concept to me.

Dave
Although words in Portuguese are "generderised" (there are "male" words and "female" words), that is not the case here. The word "para" is out of the context. Although "para" translates directly to "for", using it in that case would be wrong. It its if as you were congratulating the comments, and not the person who made them. In that context, the word "pelos" would be correct, because you want to congratulate the person and not the comments.

Just for the record, another common error is to translate "The glass is full" as "O copo é cheio". The correct would be "O copo está cheio". The verb to be has two correspondent verbs in the Portuguese language: the verb "estar", which corresponds to the actual state of the object, and the verb "ser", which is a stable (not necessarily permanent) characteristic of the object. Hence, "The glass is beautiful" translates to "O copo é (ser) bonito" and "The glass is full" translates to "O copo está (estar) cheio". That is why I don't use Babelfish.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Although words in Portuguese are "generderised" (there are "male" words and "female" words, that is not the case here. The word "para" is out of the context. Although "para" translates directly to "for", using it in that case would be wrong. It its if as you were congratulating the comments, and not the person who made them. In that context, the word "pelos" would be correct, because you want to congratulate the person and not the comments.
Thanks for the explanation.

Dave