MSP430 Programming

gusmas

Joined Sep 27, 2008
Ok so i like programming but last thing i programmed was a pic and that was really easy but now I am doing a small project and using a MSP430 microcontroller. What compiler must I use? and where can I get help on programming a MSP430 micro controller Ive tried TI.com but those example codes lack explination... thanks

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
You really need to go to TI.com and find there forums.

If you visit the Launchpad area and get the Code Composer Studio Version 4 or IAR Embedded Workbench.

That will get you moving.

Its:
ti.com/launchpad

gusmas

Joined Sep 27, 2008
ok cool i gt some help, now my pc dont have a LPT port... so can i program the msp430 through the serial port?

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
You can program it through the USB port.
Did you look at the launchpad? It is $4.30 DELIVERED. free shipping.

It comes with all the software and hardware you need, including a msp430 and usb cable.

I would go that route.

much faster.

gusmas

Joined Sep 27, 2008
OK i will buy the launchpad, but I am from South Africa, so dont know if it is possible for me to buy it?

Quick question, once a microcontroller startsup, is all the input pins to a defualt logic level 0?
Usually all the pins default to high impedance, which is "input" -- is neither logic level 0 or 1.

Usually right after startup, the best code will set all the unused pins to output, and either 0 or 1. This saves some power by keeping them high or low, not floating.

Ok so i like programming but last thing i programmed was a pic and that was really easy but now I am doing a small project and using a MSP430 microcontroller. What compiler must I use? and where can I get help on programming a MSP430 micro controller Ive tried TI.com but those example codes lack explination... thanks
Yes, go to the TI "E2E" forums for specific help on MSP430 programming. Many replies are from TI employees.

But also, ask here! There are some people doing MSP430 programming here, like me.

I use the IAR Embedded Workbench, which you can download for free from TI.com. It allows you to do some code size for free, and if your code is too big then you have to pay. I have always been able to fit in the free code size.

To program the microcontroller, you can use the Launchpad, if you can get it because it's backordered. Or you can use any of the other options, if you're willing to pay $20 to $100 for it. Check this website.

I use the MSP-FET430UIF because I do a lot with MSP430s and it is a good tool.

If you're starting out for prototyping a simple project, you might want to use the EZ430 development stick thing....