MSEE questions

ees1

Joined Jan 7, 2008
Hi, I am planning to study for MSEE, and dose anyone have any suggestion and advise for people working full time?
I received my BSEE about 9 years ago. The on line college is much easier for me because of my work schedule, but it is about 5 times expensive than California State universities, so I guess I will attend state college.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Don't take more courses at one time than you can comfortably ace. I got a second Master's Degree in 3 years while wotking full time. Whatever you do don't allow yourself to get a B - in anything.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I guess one question is are your employer going to offer you any slack at work, i.e. some works time to dedicate to studies (not that they are obliged of course)? I ask because here in the UK, some students in the NHS are given (equivalently) 2-days a week for academic and personal development (this is outside of placements). Would this apply in your situation.

Dave

ees1

Joined Jan 7, 2008
the employer gives me flexiable working schedule. What they mean is that I have to make up time if I didn't work for 40 hours.
In U.S., most employers won't pay you for your study hours unless company sends you to school for studying, but it is not common.
do you guys think if it will be okay to take 2 classes per semester?

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
the employer gives me flexiable working schedule. What they mean is that I have to make up time if I didn't work for 40 hours.
In U.S., most employers won't pay you for your study hours unless company sends you to school for studying, but it is not common.
do you guys think if it will be okay to take 2 classes per semester?
Can I ask how many hours is a class in the US?

And your semester is 12 weeks?

Dave

veritas

Joined Feb 7, 2008
Hours vary for different classes and/or different universities in the US. Classes at my university are anywhere from 1 to 5 credit hours, and the number of credit hours is generally the number of hours per week that the class meets (except labs which are 3 hrs/credit).

Our semesters are 16 weeks, but that varies by university, too.

So when he says two classes in a semester, I would guess that's about 3 hours per week per class of classroom time, plus studying/homework.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
In the UK, courses are classified by total hours (inc. lectures, labs, self-study, etc). That way your course specification is independent of semester length, number of lectures/labs.

So at a guess you're saying 16*3 = 48 hours for lectures, plus 2*3 hours formal labs, gives 54 hours formal tuition. Add in around 100 hours self-study so it would be a ~150 hour course. To answers ees1's original question, that would mean you would need to allocate around 10 hours a week over 16 weeks to your course. If you can be disciplined, I would suggest there is nothing too difficult in that, although your personal circumstances will be different.

Dave