MPPT

krishnamadan

Joined Apr 17, 2013
hi all,
is there any difference in the application of MPPT for a Resistive load and a battery. just varying the duty cycle and monitoring the panel output power to reach the maximum Power point is enough in battery charging application. suppose the battery need a constant voltage of 16V and it is possible to achieve the maximum power point(that is at 18V) on the panel side and 16V at the battery side simultaneously.or it not mandatory to charge the battery at a particular voltage that is 16V. i think changing the PWM pulse width will affect both panel power and voltage and output voltage of the converter (that is on the battery side).am totally confused please exaplin me in detail..thankss

Last edited by a moderator:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Since you are indicating that this is an E-book related question, it might be helpful if you also gave some indication of WHERE in the E-book this is referring to.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
hi all,
is there any difference in the application of MPPT for a Resistive load and a battery. just varying the duty cycle and monitoring the panel output power to reach the maximum Power point is enough in battery charging application. suppose the battery need a constant voltage of 16V and it is possible to achieve the maximum power point(that is at 18V) on the panel side and 16V at the battery side simultaneously.or it not mandatory to charge the battery at a particular voltage that is 16V. i think changing the PWM pulse width will affect both panel power and voltage and output voltage of the converter (that is on the battery side).am totally confused please exaplin me in detail..thankss
Your post confuses me too, but I am assuming you are not a native English speaker so we will all just have to try harder to communicate.

An MPPT converter starts with a switch mode power supply so it can adjust it's current draw to the point where the panel voltage times the current is a maximum: that's the maximum power point. It has nothing to do with the output voltage to the battery, or what is attached to the battery.

Charging a battery is done by controlling the supply current so the current converter works well in this scheme.