Mozy Online Back-Up Problems

infomax467

Joined Aug 26, 2009
I installed MOZY FREE Backup software on my computer by following their instructions.
After installation, my computer kept freezing and then I got the Windows Blue Screen of Death!
Basically, MOZY FREE Backup CRASHED my computer. I could not even do a system restore. I had to restore my computer from scratch. I am still in the process of putting back all my programs and files, this is very time consuming.
Furthermore, after I backed up my files, I could not retrieve them using another computer. It kept telling me that I had to register and install MOZY Backup, it just would not retrieve my previous registration.
I am still not able to retrieve my files. Luckily, I kept local backups on some DVD's. MOZY may be free, but there is always a catch. Please be aware Mozy free backup could crash your computer?
Maybe that's how they get you; then they tell you have to purchase one of their plans???

FYI: I have 2GB of RAM and a 2.0 GHz AMD processor and it still CRASHED it!

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
I would remove the app and hope to use System restore to make the computer operable. Try an F8 startup into safe mode to do both.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I installed MOZY FREE Backup software on my computer by following their instructions.
After installation, my computer kept freezing and then I got the Windows Blue Screen of Death!
Basically, MOZY FREE Backup CRASHED my computer. I could not even do a system restore. I had to restore my computer from scratch. I am still in the process of putting back all my programs and files, this is very time consuming.
Furthermore, after I backed up my files, I could not retrieve them using another computer. It kept telling me that I had to register and install MOZY Backup, it just would not retrieve my previous registration.
I am still not able to retrieve my files. Luckily, I kept local backups on some DVD's. MOZY may be free, but there is always a catch. Please be aware Mozy free backup could crash your computer?
Maybe that's how they get you; then they tell you have to purchase one of their plans???

FYI: I have 2GB of RAM and a 2.0 GHz AMD processor and it still CRASHED it!
I have never had a problem with Free Mozy. It is not the free version that is the problem. It is Mozy in general. The only difference between the products is the amount of storage.

I have to admit that restoring files from on computer to the other is a pain. The virtual disk drive and client will not "see" the backup of another computer. You have to use the web interface to download the whole backup to the second computer. If it is beyond a certain limit then you must do it through a DVD being mailed.

The download can also be problematic. If it is large and it fails (which happens often) then you have to start over again. I would rather see a group of smaller zip files.

Overall I think it is a great product for being free. For a paid service, I might look elsewhere to see if they have better features.