Mouser BOWSER

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I got home yesterday and this is what I found:

And this is what was inside of it:

The only thing I've ever ordered from mouser was a (singular) TDA Audio amplifier IC. Then they send doom on my mailbox in the form of a 10lb book. Thanks mouser!

It's all good. Fortunately, being the man of many abandoned hobbies that I am, I had a spare brake drum forge laying around that made an instant (temporary) Fix.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Save the book! The Mouser online search engine sucks terribly!

PS, try some 2 inch galvanized water pipe instead of that 22 gauge pot metal they sell as mail box posts.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Save the book! The Mouser online search engine sucks terribly!
really? when I am looking for something not specific, going off specs alone, I usually try (in this order) Mouser, digikey, newark, and if I still haven't found it, allied. I think mouser's online engine is 2nd best; I can select a range of specs, narrow down the list, select another range of specs, narrow down again, so on. Newark is better, but their engine is slow I get irritated. Newark also has a bunch of crap lumped into "other" categories, and half of their stock ships from the UK with a 49 day lead time. Allied rarely has what I want. In any case, when I narrow it down to 2 or 3 components I go back to mouser and use their compare function. Usually I find the better deal at digikey. To sum it up, I don't like any of them, but mouser isn't at the bottom of my list.
PS, try some 2 inch galvanized water pipe instead of that 22 gauge pot metal they sell as mail box posts.
My neighbor in my old 'hood had a mail box post made out of a piston rod from a steam engine, buried several feet in the ground. It must have weighed >1000lbs. He said someone tried to pull it out with a truck one time. He found the snapped chain wrapped around it laying on the ground. I've always wanted to make a "badass" mailbox like that.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I do not get along with the Mouser search engine. Just to find out what was wrong, I have found a part in the paper catalog and tried going on Mouser.com to see if I could find it with the search engine and FAILED!

The only way I found that part on the Mouser site was to type in the part number.
The paper catalog works so much better for me.

As for the mailbox...start with a 6 inch pipe 14 inches long IIRC, split it in half, put a back on it and a magneticly latched door. It will look just like an $8 mailbox after you spray paint it black and it works wonders on baseball bats.

Edit...put a bottom on it, too.

Last edited:

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I prefer and get much good use out of Digikey's search engine, almost to the point of not needing the paper version. DK is my primary vendor hands down, to the point of if they don't sell it I try don't spec it if there is an alternative they do stock.

However, there is something to be said for the print version of the catalog, as huge as it gets. I still try to flip thru the paper version page by page once a year or so. I typically find something I need to know that way.

"Paper or plastic?"

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I basically threw my paper catalog away. I was sure I clicked the opt out button, but they couldn't help themselves.

If I could get my phone books online I would opt out of them too. I don't like these kind of books, they seem wasteful and I only use them once a decade or so.

I don't have a major problem with the search engines. Of course, I have you guys to fall back on, and am not ashamed to use ya'll.