mouse signal simulator

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
They configured the computers in our company to enter standby after 10min, requiring to enter my password afterwards. Extremely annoying because sometimes you watch an acquisition being made on the screen or just work on a circuit and on the computer in bigger intervals than 10min. This configuration cannot be changed (greyed out options).

Is there any software that would create a single pixel mouse move event every minute or so?

That would disable the automatic standby...

Any ideas?

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
They configured the computers in our company to enter standby after 10min, requiring to enter my password afterwards. Extremely annoying because sometimes you watch an acquisition being made on the screen or just work on a circuit and on the computer in bigger intervals than 10min. This configuration cannot be changed (greyed out options).

Is there any software that would create a single pixel mouse move event every minute or so?

That would disable the automatic standby...

Any ideas?
I had this problem and solved it by purchasing an Arduino Leonardo. I programmed the Arduino Leonardo to emulate a USB mouse. The mouse emulation involved a subtle mouse movement that moved the cursor one mouse increment to the left followed immediately by one mouse increment to the right with a suitable delay between this mouse hiccup and the next. The movement was so minor that it could not be detected. You may want to move the cursor further just so you can tell that the program is working.

hgmjr

vk6zgo

Joined Jul 21, 2012
I hope my users aren't surfing this site. For compliance reasons, we have a similar policy.
Sorry,but that is a seriously stupid policy.

We had a PC controlling a bit of ISM equipment,where the mouse settings needed to all be done quickly to set up the parameters for each run.
After this flurry of activity,it was normal to not touch the mouse for around 15 mins.

Every time the halfwit from IT came through,he set the PC to enter Standby after 10 mins,& also locked the taskbar on.

The latter caused another problem,as the people in the Dear Old PRC who wrote the software, elected to put some function "buttons" where the taskbar is with a normal Window.

The Operators would scream "blue murder" until we reset everything to normal,as they lost all their time duration,power,& fault indicators every time it went to Standby,plus the taskbar covered up the ON "button".

He used to stuff up the PCs in the Office too,but that's another story!:D

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
The policy wouldn't be needed if users could just lock their machines when leaving their desks and were all perfect angels/acted like respectful adults.. But people are lazy and cannot be trusted so the policy IS needed at many companies were security is of any concern. Its SO easy to just walk over to someones computer and do something you aren't supposed to. It happens ALL THE TIME.

But yes I would have NEVER thought a "mouse jiggler" would be a useful commercial product. Of course its also a direct violation/abuse of the IT policy.

"Albert the Drinking Bird" is the coolest.. Brings me way back to Chemistry/Science class.

stickmann

Joined Nov 9, 2012
Most of these policies need to be enforced because of security audits. We did not have a policy for this until the bigwigs came in and told us to be XYZ security certified we need particular policies enforced. If you are still able to install software (which I doubt since they have this policy enforced), then you can use those software solutions. Otherwise get a wireless mouse, number pad, or keyboard and keep it near you. You are not breaking the security policy this way. Unfortunately, with the way networks are being breached now, these policies will only become more and more strict. Especially if even their own users and trying to abuse them.

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
If you wanted to play around with this, an Arduino Leonardo can be programmed to act like a mouse. They even have a sample mouse input program.

I see its already been mentioned. Oh well, maybe worth the repeat.

Last edited: