Motorola 68HC11 to STR750F

bineabble

Joined Dec 20, 2008
Hi everyone,
I have an application that was developed back in the 90's on a Motorola 68HC11 8-bit micro controller written in assembly language. I would like to migrate to the STR750F 32-bit ARM micro controller.

Where should I start? From what I understand I will have to convert the assembly code into C.

I was able to get the STR750F board working, built and download the test program (main.c) onto the board, played around with the code a little bit.

Thanks!

futz

Joined Dec 14, 2008
I have an application that was developed back in the 90's on a Motorola 68HC11 8-bit micro controller written in assembly language. I would like to migrate to the STR750F 32-bit ARM micro controller.

Where should I start? From what I understand I will have to convert the assembly code into C.

I was able to get the STR750F board working, built and download the test program (main.c) onto the board, played around with the code a little bit.
Assembly ports to C very easily (and vice versa). Provided you understand both C and HC11 asm, you just go through the asm code sometimes one line at a time, sometimes a few lines at a time and sometimes a subroutine at a time and write equivalent code in C.

If you don't understand both languages you'll have a difficult time, but you can still do it by looking things up and basically learning HC11 asm on the fly, or learning C while porting. Not the optimum way to do a port. :p

RiJoRI

Joined Aug 15, 2007
"Assembly ports to C very easily"
Apparently, you have never come across some OLD assembler, written for speed or size and NOT for readability. I have tried it a number of times -- as recently as two weeks ago-- and have had to deal with stuff like:
Rich (BB code):
        ifeq     A,#002
         jp       LOP0SHT1
        jmp      LOP0SHT3
LOP0SHT1:
         :
         :
        jmp      LOP0SHT2
         :
         :
        jmp      LOP0SHT4
LOP0SHT3:                   
         :
         :
LOP0SHT2:
         :
         ;
        ifc
                ret
    :
        jmp   LOP0SHT1
LOP0SHT4:
--Rich

futz

Joined Dec 14, 2008
"Assembly ports to C very easily"
Apparently, you have never come across some OLD assembler, written for speed or size and NOT for readability. I have tried it a number of times -- as recently as two weeks ago-- and have had to deal with stuff like:
True enough. :p Maybe I should have said it's not all easy. It's also sometimes very difficult if you've disassembled it and don't know exactly what it does. You have no decent labels until you dig in and start making up your own names for them. Compiler generated code can be pretty strange too.