Motorcycle voltage regulator

GaryRobb

Joined Nov 14, 2011
Shortbus that did happen with the polarizing no where in the instructions does it say to disconnect. After that costly error I studied a little and found the generator needs polarizing and not the regulator Thanks

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
Hi Gary, They are of a Bosch Altenator regulator I rev engineered so i could build another as the parts dont cost any where near a comercialy built one. At least here.

GaryRobb

Joined Nov 14, 2011
This is a picture of what this goes. I knew nothing about Old Harleys when I started out but thanks to the internet with great forums full of people willing to give their time and knowledge people are able to build things and really benefit from all your efforts.

Attachments

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
A Panhead! And an "Easy Rider" helmet lol
Back in those days, I was a teenager and had neighbors a couple doors down who were twins, and their last names just happened to be "Davidson".... and they found a pair of 1948 Harley dressers, and chopped 'em. That brings back some memories. I remember watching one of them sail over the handlebars because he had the timing too far advanced, and he didn't know to keep his knee bent while kick-starting it...

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Good deal, Daryl!

I simulated the regulator; it does work, but it seems to output too much voltage and there isn't enough adjustment in the pot "Vadj" to get it low enough. In my simulation, I changed the resistor below the pot from 1k to 910 Ohms, and that worked OK.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Shortbus that did happen with the polarizing no where in the instructions does it say to disconnect. After that costly error I studied a little and found the generator needs polarizing and not the regulator Thanks
Got two pans myself, '57 and '58. Have worked on and built old Harley's since my teen age years. These companies reverse engineer a component and don't use quality parts and this is what you get. You won't be disappointed with Cycle Electric.

GaryRobb

Joined Nov 14, 2011
hey shortbus what is the best route to go, built in regulator or separated one? Won't hold you to it. Just asking. Sgt if the schematic debe posted is good for low voltage out put I'm going to try it.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
GaryRobb - I always use a remote regulator. To me, the heat transfer from the motor through the generator can't be good for it. If you ride for an hour or so on a hot day the generator is as hot as the motor cases.

But I have put the Cycle Electric on bikes for people and not had problems. For a nostalgia style ride I'd use the remote reg. Just me though, your mileage may vary.:)

If you build one like Debe's circuit, why not mount it in an old style case?