Motorcycle LED Tail/Brake Light - HELP HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I've used Newark before.
You might consider Digikey, because they will ship small orders via USPS 1St Class Mail, which can save you about $6 on your order vs UPS shipping rates. I've used Digikey as well.
I've ordered from Mouser before.

I really don't buy many resistors anymore; I have several thousand here. I bought a rather large assortment of E24 resistors quite inexpensively a few years ago. I also have a local supplier who carries a rather complete selection, so that's pretty convenient for me.

Builder

Joined Nov 28, 2009
I wish I had this information when I was creating LED turn signals for my car's side-view mirrors. I sold about 100 sets to fellow car owners. Luckily, they are all still in operation. After reading this thread, I don't know why. :eek:

Just a quick hijack, if I might... What are you guys using to diagram circuits? (looking for free utility). I have assigned myself a new project and think I will need to get a little more sophisticated.

Thanks,
-- Scott

ol'trusty

Joined Sep 9, 2009
Why wouldn't you use a +12 volts voltage regulator than you wouldn't have to worry about the changement in voltage and the light will be stable..
A 7812 is cheap and easy to use , it can give up to one amp.
good luck
Trusty

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Why wouldn't you use a +12 volts voltage regulator than you wouldn't have to worry about the changement in voltage and the light will be stable..
A 7812 is cheap and easy to use , it can give up to one amp.
good luck
Trusty
The trouble with using a 7812 regulator is that it has a minimum dropout of 2v. In order to get good regulation, you would have to have over 14v input.

There would also be the problem of the heat dissipation in the 7812 package.

Since our OP (original poster) is using a single resistor per string, the heat is spread out all over the circuit, so there is little risk of heat buildup.

And resistors are very inexpensive.

yfx4

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Be sure to use LEDs with as wide a viewing angle as possible for safety. Don't ask how I know. You WANT lots of folks to see the light. Lumileds Superflux LEDs are made for auto applications--bright and most are good viewing angles. IMHO. Future Electronics has them for about $0.35 each.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.