Motor identification

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
Can you take a picture with a better focus?

It looks to me like some switches. This can serve as feedback or stop switch. It seems to be attached to the gear box and may tell you the position of the motor axis or how many turns it did.

Adamf001

Joined Sep 5, 2011
Thanks, I think I read some where that there are motors that turn a certain angle depending on the 'signal' that has been sent... a square wave , the 'wider' the square wave the higher the angle the motor has turned?

is this what I have? I've never seen these sort of motors before so I won't know...

Attachments

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
You have a simple DC motor with a gearbox and then a device that acts as a momentary switch. The motor gets voltage, turns the moving part of that switch at the other end of the gearbox until it makes a contact between one or more of the contacts connected to the wires. I'm almost 100% sure that this acts as end switch (stop switch).

Adamf001

Joined Sep 5, 2011
so how would I connect these wires to use the end switch, well not the specific wires but how do they work,
do I run a voltage through certain wires or would I use this with a Micro controller, so like when a connection has been made between two contact in the clear disk thing does it stop the motor control? ? how does it work.

and thanks for the clarification of the motors praondevou :)

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
First step: take a multimeter and verify which wire contacts to which one when you turn the wiper. It cannot be identified on the picture you posted (even though it' much better than the first one)

There will need to be some control logic which decides the direction the motor can turn, according to the swiths' position.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Thanks, I think I read some where that there are motors that turn a certain angle depending on the 'signal' that has been sent... a square wave , the 'wider' the square wave the higher the angle the motor has turned?

is this what I have? I've never seen these sort of motors before so I won't know...
The "motors" you've described seem to be hobby servo motors. This is not one of those. If you are still curious, for a description of How Do Servos Work, click on the link

dj