Motor Help!

onebigfellah

Joined Apr 3, 2012
Hi everyone.

I am trying to build a temperature & humidity controlled chamber...in order to remove humidity I need to modify the fan speed (decrease it) on the air conditioner because the room is small (57 ft²) and the A/C is way oversized (18 kBtu). The approximate CFM for a room this size should be around 50.

I purchased a 230VAC 0.5hp 1ph variable frequency drive to accomplish this.

My problem is this, which legs should I put it on for an asynchronous motor?

Please see attached photo of the motor's label for schematic.

It is my belief that the "Red", "Yellow" & "White" wires would be connected to the three different blower speeds (Hi, Med, Lo)...There is also an "Auto" mode for the fan circulating air in the room.

Attachments

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
If you lower the fan speed on the air conditioner the coils may frost and clog the airflow through the evaporator. Have you considered that?

Why not just cycle the air conditioner on and off?

onebigfellah

Joined Apr 3, 2012
There is a controller that monitors the Evaproator coil for freezing. The unit is already cycling on and off every 5 minutes and it cannot go any lower because there is some sort of internal timer on it.

So, any idea as to which terminals would be the correct ones?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
PS, the timer is to keep you from trying to re-start the compressor before the Freon pressures equalize. If you do, the compressor will not start and it will allow high current until the internal overheat safety pops. (Compressors don't like that.)

onebigfellah

Joined Apr 3, 2012
Thanks for everyone's concern about this project; I have worked with compressors and A/C units for a long time in a previous life.

I am going to unplug all of the wires and try them one by one to figure out what each one does.

I'll keep you posted.

A dehumidifier would be a great idea if I had the space in the room and the power...