Mosfets and ECUs help!!

Engin_Nerd

Joined Oct 22, 2010
Hello,

I am new to hardware engineering and I'm having a hard time understanding mosfets, and an even harder time understanding how to interpret there data sheets.

The parts I'm trying to use are:
1) IPG20N06S2L- 50
2) BSP315P
3) BTS134D

I understand the general idea of how a Mosfet works, I'm basically having a hard time understanding the datasheet, knowing what components are needed for protection and what values they would be. For example, the data sheet for BTS134D says it is fully protected by embedded protection functions....what does this mean? Does this mean you don't need any additional components (diodes, resistors, caps, etc??).

My application calls for having a micro controlling these 3 components which will be switching the outputs (some inductive, some resistive). I am not quite in the building stage yet, I just want to have a layout for a schematic to get going.

Also when is it required to use a pull up resistor for the SI, SO, SCLK pins? How do you determine what they should be?

Thanks in advance for the help or tips.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Welcome to the forums.

Hopefully, we can help. The "ECU" in your title makes this thread iffy, as we have an automotive policy -
Guidelines for automotive electronics help

1. Modifications to the ECU or engine sensors are not topics for discussion. Too many safety and legal issues come up. Air quality and safety trump performance.

Engin_Nerd

Joined Oct 22, 2010
Hey, thanks for the heads up. I'm not modifying an ecu, I'm trying to understand how mosfets work, what type of protection is needed, and what the datasheets are telling me. The project is for an ecu schematic i'm making, I thought someone with ecu design experience might be able to give me more insight.