Mosfet RDSon Testing Method

yasinji

Joined Mar 25, 2009
Kindly provide a Mosfet RDSon esting method.
I have tryed by using two power supply each limited to 1A and kept 10V as Vds and 9V as Vgs. The Mosfet has turned on and the taken the drop across the Vds and got less than 17mE. But may due to gate charge or some other reason the mosfet is failing. I was using this mosfet testing in our QA dept for production. How to avoid mosfet failure?

yasinji

Joined Mar 25, 2009
Dear Mr. MIk3,

I have attached the ckt. Kindly verify and please suggest a solution to my problem. I have also attached the daasheet of mosfet device under test.

Attachments

DC_Kid

Joined Feb 25, 2008
Dear Mr. MIk3,

I have attached the ckt. Kindly verify and please suggest a solution to my problem. I have also attached the daasheet of mosfet device under test.
that fet has Rds-on of typ 17mOhm @ 10Vgs. thats exactly what you measured (1A X 0.017mOhm = 0.017V).

are you asking why you measured 17mV with 9Vgs?

Last edited:

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
Are you sure the source is limited to 1 Amp?

Also, with the 120K and 150K resistors the voltage on the gate will be about 6V which is not enough to turn the MOS fully on. Replace the 120K with a 100 Ohm one.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
Your MOSFET may be failing because it has to discharge the power supply's internal capacitor before the voltage drops to 17mV (or whatever). This can cause a lot of power to be dissipated for a short amount of time.
I would limit the current with a 10 ohm, 25 Watt resistor in series between the supply and the drain. That way, you avoid the current spike.