mosfet not switching

Yebon

Joined Dec 17, 2013
I have a project that is using a car battery for power and a 5 volt touch plate as the signal. When i connect to power and i turn it on ( touch the switch) it turns on but it does not turn off. I am not sure where to go from here. Is the resistor from gate to source the wrong value? (part numbers are listed on drawing and they are correct)

any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
should I add a resistor from the touch pad (signal) to the driver inputs (U3)?

I would put a 3 to 10 MOhm resistor between touch pad and ground. The touch pad needs to discharge at some point. Play with the resistor value to make sure it the touch pad discharges enough to turn off the driver in a reasonable time (larger for longer times).

On the other hand, if the resistor is too small of value, the current will flow (and voltage drop) so fast that the mosfet never turns on.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The data sheet says the inputs are held low when left floating. The drawings show 400k internally connected from the inputs to ground. These things say the output should not float.:confused:

Maybe something else is wrong.

ps, Yebon...you did what was requested.

Attachments

Last edited:

Yebon

Joined Dec 17, 2013
I read the data sheet for the driver and it suggests 2 caps in parallel from VDD to GND. i have added this to the schematic. Does anyone else see anything that jumps out that i should add or take out. Thank you all for your help.

Attachments

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
I read the data sheet for the driver and it suggests 2 caps in parallel from VDD to GND. i have added this to the schematic. Does anyone else see anything that jumps out that i should add or take out. Thank you all for your help.
Does the EVK1010A already come with an electrode or did you do this part yourself including the capacitor selection mentioned in the datasheet of the AT42QT1010?