MOSFET/JFET tutorial for dummies

Skfir

Joined Aug 19, 2010
Hey pipz, since the chapters on MOSFET/JFET transistors are not ready yet, might anybody advise me any tutorial on the matter to read meanwhile?
Thanks dudes!

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
probably both, if possible please.
If you can get access to a copy, Chapter 4 in Sedra and Smith is an excellent treatise of MOSFETs - the best conceptual and mathematical approach to the MOSFET I have seen.

I don't necessarily recommend buying the book as it is expensive, but if you can get hold of a copy from a library I suggest you do.

Dave

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Lucky guy! It's out of print, unfortunately.
I can't quite put my finger on this. If you have a look on Amazon there is an edition available here. It says it is the 5th edition, which is the same as my copy. However, having browsed the table of contents there appears to be a difference between the sub-topics covered. It says that is the "International Students Edition" so I wonder if there is some differences between that and my edition.

Unfortunately, from my perusing of the TOC it appears the edition on Amazon doesn't cover the MOSFET to extent my copy does.

I will do a little more digging as Sedra and Smith is regularly recommended here on AAC and I would like my information to be current. If you find anything please feel free to post up. Thanks.

Dave

Skfir

Joined Aug 19, 2010
Well... mmm... I wouldn't say that my 'copy' is very hard... if you got what I mean... I would be happy to... mmm.... share some knowledge amongst us but not sure direct links are approved here.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Well... mmm... I wouldn't say that my 'copy' is very hard... if you got what I mean... I would be happy to... mmm.... share some knowledge amongst us but not sure direct links are approved here.
Yes we won't be saying anything more on that ;)

If Chapter 4 is MOSFETs then you have the same version as I, and I recommend you read that chapter. If, however, Chapter 4 is BJTs then you have the International Edition and MOSFET are covered, in less detail, in Chapter 5 under the section titled FETs alongside a brief introduction to JFETs.

Dave