Mormon welfare peanut butter factory

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
A story, from today.

I was dispatched to do a recon mission for a customer who wants to add some automated process to a peanut butter canning line. I got the address and drove out there, and even before I got there, it seemed a little "off." I was in a residential/suburban neighborhood, not in an industrial area. I arrived at the correct address and instead of a peanut butter factory, there was LDS church. I went ahead and pulled in, just as a place to park and call back to the office and let them know about the error. Then I looked up, and one of the doors to the church was labeled "peanut butter factory." I went inside, and sure enough, there was a peanut butter factory inside this church!

It was pretty bizarre to see. I associate Mormons with what I see; Mormons riding bicycles with white shirts and ties. If I ever saw them doing something else, I didn't know it. And then to see them running a legitimate peanut butter factory, inside a church, was eye opening.

They make the peanut butter from peanuts grown elsewhere by Mormon farmers in a CO-OP. Then they sell a little bit of it at inflated prices, as a charity funding operation, but the bulk of it they deliver to homeless shelters around Houston and beyond. They call it the Houston Welfare Cannery, and it is staffed almost exclusively by volunteers. Apparently they can't find a volunteer that is attentive enough to make sure all the jars go down the line right-side-up, which is why I'm getting involved.

Pretty cool. I wish I could help them out at a discounted rate or something, but unfortunately/fortunately my company is not a charity operation.

http://www.lds.org/media-library/video/2011-05-03-helping-houstons-hungry?category=welfare

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I don't think I've ever had a surprise like that, and I've been doing house calls for 40 years. I think the oddest thing that ever happened was that the kitchen table wasn't big enough to count the money, so we used the garage floor. Now, as to why that trucking company owner was paying in cash, I will never know.:rolleyes:

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Good video. I applaud the LDS for their humanitarian activities and their support of family values. Much of their theology is not for me.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I don't think I've ever had a surprise like that, and I've been doing house calls for 40 years. I think the oddest thing that ever happened was that the kitchen table wasn't big enough to count the money, so we used the garage floor. Now, as to why that trucking company owner was paying in cash, I will never know.:rolleyes:
I want to know what he was paying for.
Good video. I applaud the LDS for their humanitarian activities and their support of family values. Much of their theology is not for me.
Much of anyone's theology is not for me. But I can support a cause, and I also applaud them. I am, at a minimum, buying a bunch of peanut butter when I go back, and I may inquire about volunteering (not all the volunteers are Mormon).

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I want to know what he was paying for.
Air Conditioning. Lots of air conditioning. Duct work included. Thermostats, zones, electrostatic air cleaners, humidity control, sheet metal work, a little bit of carpentry. It took 3 guys a week to install it. Minimum of 120 hours of on-site labor, a licensed electrician for one day, and over $4000 in parts. I guess there weren't many hundred dollar bills in the pile. Think: $12,000 in twentys.

Last edited:

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
@ Joe Jester , true story...went into a house to set up a color T.V ,I asked the guy

where he wanted me set the stuffed bird sitting on the T.V.....He said it a live falcon

with a hood over his head. He got up and moved it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
bertus Off-Topic 1
tracecom Off-Topic 19