Monostable 555 not timing out correctly

GunsNTulips

Joined Nov 22, 2013
I'm trying to set up a simple monostable 555 timer to give me a voltage for a specific time after a trigger is pressed. This is actually meant as a hack to those musical christmas cards, so that I can press a button and play the song through. To test the circuit out on a breadboard I am using an LED with a 100 Ohm resistor off of 3.

I am following the diagram on Wikipedia precisely. I have a 1 microfarad capacitor (PMG105 2K) and a 1 MOhm resistor. Off of terminal 5 I have a 10 nF (103Z) capacitor to ground.

This should give me a time out of about 1 second. Instead, the timeout is inconsistent. It's never just one second, and it increases each time the button is pressed often, not timing out at all.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010

Attachments

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Add the 10k, and your timing cycle will begin from when you release the button.
I don't think so. The 10k pull-up is required, but pin 2 needs a negative going pulse, so the timing cycle will start when the button to ground is depressed. The problem is there is bounce on the button.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Also, I'm connecting to 3 AA in series, so it should be 4.5 volts. I've measured the voltage from the output to ground at about 3.1 volts when it is on.
That's normal; the 555 output cannot get much closer to the supply voltage than that. It gets closer to ground on the low end.

GunsNTulips

Joined Nov 22, 2013
I figured the voltage was normal, but I thought the information could be relevant. Tracecom's diagram works like a charm, but that circuit is going to be bitch to etch. I wish I understood what all the extra stuff did. I'm hoping the Circuit Analysis course I'm taking my group through will teach me.

Now I will need to get the voltage and timing right for the greeting card circuit and shrink it down so I can wear it to win my ugly sweater competition.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
#2 pin must be high when it is not low, this is not a default.

Also, when pin 2 is low the 555 will time internally, but the output will be stuck at high.

GunsNTulips

Joined Nov 22, 2013
I see, so some of the elements added in tracecom's design were meant to bring 2 back to Vcc. Is that right.

Looking at it, by eliminating R4 and C4, Tracecom must mean break R4 and short C4.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Negative. While Reset (pin 2) is low, the discharge transistor (pin 7) is turned on, so the timing network is held in the low (discharged) state, and the timing cycle begins after the rising edge of the Reset pulse (pin 2).
The reset pin on a 555 is pin 4, not pin 2; pin 2 is the trigger pin, and is activated by a negative-going pulse.