Modifying an old ATX power supply - can it be done?

cykotek

Joined Dec 27, 2011
Greetings all.

I have a project underway, and would like some advice/assistance.

Basically, I am trying to create a 12A 30A power supply from an old ATX PSU. This is intended to run a pair of 12V car fridges from a mains power source.

I know I could buy one pre-made, but they cost hundreds of dollars, and I have the ATX PSU sitting around unused.

I could easily power one fridge from the 12v rail of the PSU, it has a high enough current rating. I was wondering if there was some way to modify the 5v rail so that it output 12v instead. It doesn't matter if I can't tie the original 12v rail and the new, modified rail together - I could run each fridge off a separate rail.

Could this be done?

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
To change the output voltage of a power supply like this, you need to alter the feedback (PWM) circuit of the driver IC..... what is the ratings of your ATX power supply for the 12 volt rail??

Last edited:

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Usually, computer supplies just regulate one of the voltages (typically +`5v). ATX supplies are so cheap that it would't be worth your time to try such a mod.

Http://www.mpja.com is one of my favorite suppliers; they carry a large assortment of computer supplies. Have a look.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Modern ATX power supplies can put out 100A plus and maintain regulation on the 12V rail. ;)
Are there any 1.2 kW ATX supplies? The strongest I am aware of = 800W but that is high end. Normally they only have 450W at max.

You can't get 100A from 450W. And it is distributed. Not all the Watts can be drawn from one voltage.

Old ATX = 200W to 300W. Old = 5 years.

cykotek

Joined Dec 27, 2011
Wow... that is insanely cheap.

Unfortunately, the shipping cost would be more than the item cost (I live in Australia).