Modifying a schematic 220V to 24V

electech5

Joined May 14, 2014
Hello,

I am trying to build a moisture sensor that will be in a seal environment to turn on a 24V water pump. I have found a schematic online for a moisture sense except its source is 220V, How can I adjust the component values to allow me to use a 24V source instead of 220V?

Thanks

business_kid

Joined Feb 5, 2013
Just a pointer on this also. There's a huge difference between 24VDC and 24VAC; the latter has inrush currents in the coils of relays and solenoids - several amps often.
If it's more than taking out the power supply, I'd try for a different circuit or design from scratch.

electech5

Joined May 14, 2014
Sorry , I thought I had linked the schematic I am attempting to manipulate.

Here is it here

I have updated it as show in the picture below to add another LM358. When the humiditiy is to low as sensed by A2, set by P1 it will activate a motor to pump water to a sponge and have a fan blow moisture through the air.

A3 senses if the moisture content is too high it needs to remove moisture from the air. I haven't quite determined how to remove the moisture, and am taking any suggestions on a good way to remove the moisture

electech5

Joined May 14, 2014
I think I am going to use a 120 to 24 volt converter, as shetii01 showed the 220 to 24 volt DC above, for the components correcting the moisture level. I'm using 120 because I am in north america and I am pretty sure the schematic was completed for somewhere in Europe. If I change the source voltage to 120 rather then the 220 in the previously designed schematic how do I determine the new resistor and capacitor values?

Thanks

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Was the power shown in the schematic directly from 220vac?
It hardly seems necessary, a circuit designed around 24vdc should be preferable and dropped by a suitable transformer supply.
This way there is no component changes necessary?
I see now you managed include the schematic link, I am guessing that will work for you on 120v.
There is a slight difference in timing, 50hz/60hz but these circuits are very tolerant for what you need it for.
Max.

Last edited:

electech5

Joined May 14, 2014
To me it looks as though it was never dropped down because the circuit here is turning on 2 lights, which i assume are 220V lights.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I am pretty sure to simulate the heating effect they came up with two 240v lamps, you could use 2 120v lamps.
I doubt they used 440v versions!
R15 you may have to tailor, but try it first.
Max.

Last edited: