modifying a flashlight for projector

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Metal Casing is the Heat sink for the LED.
Remove it and you will destroy the LED with in seconds.

Any Idea how you are going to mount it in the projector.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Our assumption is that this silver metal casing serves as the ground terminal as well as a heatsink. Try to connect the + terminal of a 9V DC supply to the pin/spring in the center of the underside of the torch head and the - terminal directly to the casing. If the LEDs light up you have your final connection plan.

We didn't ask you, but does the torch have any ON-OFF button or it lights up when you twist and screw it? If it's the latter, everything said above holds. If it's the former, be sure to have the switch in the ON position.

softturns

Joined Jan 4, 2012
Thanks so much to everyone for your help! The light works! Drilled a hole and soldered it tonight, and its plugged in, hopefully the extra heat disperser things we attached will help to keep it cool during this first 5 hour test. If you are interested, I will post a picture of the whole display case once we set up in the gallery (http://soex.org/Exhibit/102.html) in a couple of weeks.
Thanks again! I really appreciate your time and effort.
(and I am encouraged to try something electronic again!)
best,
Sarah Jane

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Thanks so much to everyone for your help! The light works! Drilled a hole and soldered it tonight, and its plugged in, hopefully the extra heat disperser things we attached will help to keep it cool during this first 5 hour test. If you are interested, I will post a picture of the whole display case once we set up in the gallery (http://soex.org/Exhibit/102.html) in a couple of weeks.
Thanks again! I really appreciate your time and effort.
(and I am encouraged to try something electronic again!)
best,
Sarah Jane
I am happy to hear of your success, Sarah Jane. I'm glad you have found an interest in electronics, and I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say that we look forward to helping you in the future :)

Best wishes,
Der Strom