Moderation Insanity!

AlexR

Joined Jan 16, 2008
Am I missing something or did this thread http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=55750 get locked because the OP is asking for help with an audio cross-over network for his car sound system.

If it did then its a case of totally mindless moderation.

I accept that some subjects are off limits and anything to do with car safety or performance is taboo but the sound system????

Would any of the moderators care to explain how would installing a cross-over network could possibly compromise vehicle safety.

I know the rules of engagement ban all car topics but how about applying a little common sense before locking a thread?

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
I suggest you look at it from the other side of the coin. It appears the moderators have to look at all the posts and weed out the ones that don't meet policy. That's a lot of work, especially if you just volunteer your time. So it's much easier to just apply the policy completely.

It's the "football principle". When we were kids, if someone didn't like the game, he sometimes took his football and went home. Game over. The owners of the forum have decided on these policies and they're just taking their football home.

Another way to look at it is a ruthless Darwinian culling of posts that aren't smart enough to keep the magic words out of the topic. :D

AlexR

Joined Jan 16, 2008
I suggest you look at it from the other side of the coin. It appears the moderators have to look at all the posts and weed out the ones that don't meet policy. That's a lot of work, especially if you just volunteer your time. So it's much easier to just apply the policy completely...................
The whole point of moderating a forum, I would have thought, is so that a human can make a reasoned decision on what does or does not constitute an acceptable post. If you are going to mindlessly apply a ban based on one key-word then why do we bother having moderators at all? You may as well have a computer program scan the posts and block any that contain any word in a banned list.

Why not just have

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I also think the automotive modifications ban is over top top put it mildly. And closing down a threads like one the Alex point to. Make me very embarrassing as a member. For some time ago. We had some more rules regarding automotive modifications. Like no light and ECU modifications. And they seams to work well. I really hope site owners. come to one's senses on this maters and see how awkward this new regime is. They have decided the new rules. And the moderators must follow them.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
We had discussed and helped to mod the car stereo before in this forum.
So, why the heck the sudden change.

I believe that we should be able to discuss about car audio and it's power amp installation and all that.

Am I right or wrong here ?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Things have changed. I'm just waiting and seeing what happens. The stance on cars is unambiguous, but the stance of high voltage circuits seems to be in a state of flux, extending beyond the current TOS.

I don't know this, but I am pretty sure there is a moderator's forum, where they discuss this stuff out. I suspect it is pretty busy at the moment.

Thing to remember is they are volunteers. They try to meet the constraints passed down by the administrators. We haven't seen either much lately, but I suspect we will. So I wait and see.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Our Mods work darn hard, and the pay around here stinks! ;)

Don't be overly critical. He might've been in a hurry and the request just didn't sound right to him.

Everyone makes mistakes.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
I saw a classic car sitting on the pull over lane,burning to the ground.
The elder had let a youngster use the car,a blown fuse was by passed.
The fire started in dash and burned to the shell. You can use your pm
for questions and If a member knows you there e-mail. Members are
10 years old plus,why not have some safety.We may have computer
members that don't understand how to use a meter safely or may own
a $9.95 radio shack meter.How many members will fess up and say
they don't own meter.

Last edited:

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I read it as an audio cross-over, built for a car, but the user wanted to run it in the house.

The problem was, it was never really specified in those words. I can not say how Bertus interpeted it. It did seem strange reading it ...

AlexR

Joined Jan 16, 2008
Surely whether its for a c.., boat, house or a cave in Afghanistan is beside the point. The point is that the poster was asking for help on a cross-over network fo an audio amplifier and just because he mentioned that "c.." word the post got locked even though there is no way that installing a cross-over network in a c.. could compromise safety.

On the whole our moderators do a great job but in cases like this one a little thought before rushing out to lock a thread would not go astray.

HarveyH42

Joined Jul 22, 2007
There are other sites, that deal entirely with cars, some are model specific as well. There are also many that deal in car stereos exclusively as well. I'd imagine there are plenty of home stereo and home theater sites as well. I know of on online store, that has all kinds of 'How-Tos' for hooking up audio/video stuff, home, car, where ever. Automotive electronics, is still electronics, but there are some specific rules, even some local laws, concerning what you can, and can't do. Cars have gotten pretty complicated these days, and a wrong guess, could be a big problem. Electronics has branched out over the years, and what applies in one area, might not in others. Just to be on the safe side, it's not a bad idea to leave such things, to people who specialize in the automotive electronics field.

We are all guests here, and the owners set the rules. The out-right ban on certain topics, does seem a little strict, since most of us are going to make the attempt, whether we can discuss it here, or not. It would be nice to hear a few words of wisdom, or share our failed experiments, to a avoid learning everything the hard way. But, if it's a banned topic here, there is a search engine, and simple enough to find the information we seek. Most of us have been on this site a while, and we can trust the advice given.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
A google search for DIMPS XM-3A and crossover did not reveal anything other than the two posts at AAC ... one in off-topics and the other in general electronics chat.

So, does anyone have a specification sheet or other propaganda for that device?

on edit:

The OPs opened a third thread, and it's not been closed, can be found at http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?p=371504

Last edited: