Modeling the breakdown of a diode in reverse bias with LT spice

MikeJacobs

Joined Dec 7, 2019
Hey team

So I would like to model a diode in reverse bias and what current it starts to avalanche and no longer function as a clamp. I built this little circuit but not sure where to go from here.
Any help?

Thanks

Screen Shot 2020-04-27 at 2.12.16 PM.png

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
You choose one of the possible simulations.
  1. Transient Response
  2. AC Analysis
  3. DC Sweep
  4. Noise
  5. DC Transfer
  6. DC op(erating) p(oi)nt
The LTspice Help file will help you choose which one.
How do you know that an ideal generic diode will actually show a breakdown characteristic?
Which of the diode model parameters will let you know where this point is?

MikeJacobs

Joined Dec 7, 2019
Thanks, sorry in that screen shot I just didn't pick a part yet. I will pick one and was not planning on using the ideal part.

MikeJacobs

Joined Dec 7, 2019
Thanks for all the info
The issue is that tutorial although excellent shows only the one sides curve. I am looking to model the reverse breakdown of a diode?
I want to see how much current a diode will withstand before the clamping loses its effect.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I guess your first task is to understand if any of the diodes in the standard library actually model the breakdown behavior, or do they just go with the default values.
Then set up a voltage source to sweep from 0 volts up to some maximum value greater than the breakdown voltage. Forward or reverse the experiment is the same.
If that does not work, look for posts by Alex (@Bordodynov) where he has examples of plotting device characteristics