Mitsubishi DLP stuck on Welcome Screen Repair Advice

waynezo

Joined Dec 25, 2018
My WD-82737 is hanging on the blue welcome screen. I did the firmware update and it worked for 2 weeks. I did firmware update a couple more times and got it to boot but the color was blotchy then it went back to hanging on startup screen. I have heard this indicates a bad power board and or main board. I found this chassis kit on shop jimmy (Out of Stock)https://www.shopjimmy.com/mitsubishi...is.htm?alert=1

I could probably install it myself. If I can get the part.

Is there a way to diagnose this better? What would a tech charge for that repair approximately?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I fixed a Toshiba DLP for a friend. I was only able to do this because after a thorough searching on the model number, I found quite a few reports of a common failure. When I checked for that failure on my friend's unit, sure enough there it was. A blown transistor and the resistor on it's base, just as many other folks had found. It was a super easy fix but I would have had nearly zero chance of doing the diagnosis on my own.

In other words, try to find the service manual and any blogs/forum posts you can about that model. Learn from others.

You won't like my other advice. I keep an eye on Craigslist for cheap finds, and I see a projection TV offered free just about once a week. People are dumping them and moving on to flat screens. I doubt that paying for a professional repair makes much sense

waynezo

Joined Dec 25, 2018
I fixed a Toshiba DLP for a friend. I was only able to do this because after a thorough searching on the model number, I found quite a few reports of a common failure. When I checked for that failure on my friend's unit, sure enough there it was. A blown transistor and the resistor on it's base, just as many other folks had found. It was a super easy fix but I would have had nearly zero chance of doing the diagnosis on my own.

In other words, try to find the service manual and any blogs/forum posts you can about that model. Learn from others.

You won't like my other advice. I keep an eye on Craigslist for cheap finds, and I see a projection TV offered free just about once a week. People are dumping them and moving on to flat screens. I doubt that paying for a professional repair makes much sense
Thanks for the response

I found a power board on ebay and installed it................ still stuck on welcome screen. So I guess it is the main board. Is there another component which could be the culprit?