MIT Prof on a Vintage-Scope Rescue Mission

Blofeld

Joined Feb 21, 2010
Professor Kent Lundberg writes in his blog, among other things, about his adventures searching for vintage oscilloscopes, and, in the last posts, praises their virtues:

http://readingjimwilliams.blogspot.com/search/label/Scope Sunday

It's mostly about really old (and partially defunct) scopes, so if you are looking for advice on operational secondhand scopes you will not find much. But there are some nice pics and stories, that's why I put it in off-topic.

Blofeld

Joined Feb 21, 2010
That pictures on his sites a gem! Kinda like Einstien on meth.
That's the late analog electronics guru Jim Williams. Here are two cartoons by him, the second one is a "self portrait" :)

http://readingjimwilliams.blogspot.com/2011/09/app-note-35-part-3.html

Lundberg started the blog soon after Jim Williams died last year. Lundberg goes through all of Williams app notes and writes some comments about them (that's why the blog is called readingjimwilliams). Then he started to write some posts about vintage scopes too. This seems unrelated, but it fits because Williams was a vintage scope fanatic too (which can be easily seen in most of his app notes, always praising their virtues and showing some nice analog scope shots. But never from a digital one).

jimkeith

Joined Oct 26, 2011
Brings back tons of memories--I used to ride the Tektronix scope carts like a scooter on the way from the test floor to the lab. My favorite dinosaur was the Tektronix 549 storage scope--could display a single sweep trace at 1us/div.

Blofeld

Joined Feb 21, 2010
Attached is a pic of Jim Williams (on the right) that is a bit more flattering. But I thought all of you would be drooling over the scope pics... :D

Attachments

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I have a Tektronix scope dolly like this one. I was planning to modify it and turn it into a tool-chest caddy. Maybe if I can find a vintage scope like this one I can preserve it for posterity. Time to revisit the Dayton HamVention?

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I have the cart and the scope. Unfortunately the scope doesn't power up and I haven't had the time to try to repair it. So, it's just cluttering up the garage for now, but I don't have the heart to part with it.