minn kota trolling motor

ggmiles

Joined Apr 5, 2009
I recently purchased a used bass boat and it has a minn kota trolling motor with 12/24 switch. I have only one battery; however, there are four leads in the battery compartment, 2 red and 2 black. There has never been two batteries installed. How should I connect the leads for one battery operation? Thanks,

Jerry

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
First I would contact the company...they have a web site...http://www.minnkotamotors.com/

But off the top of my head, I'd say that each pair of Red/Black wires goes to a 12V battery. The 12/24 switch selects one battery for 12V and two in series for 24V.

But since MinnKota has contact info...I'd just ignore me, and go there before I hooked anything up. :)

Ken

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I would think a quick inspection of the terminals on the two sets of wires in the battery compartment would indicate which pair have been used, and which have not - unless the previous owner had been using two batteries.

Does the boat itself have a 12v/24v switch? Or is the only switch on the trolling motor?

ggmiles

Joined Apr 5, 2009
Only the trolling motor has 12/24 switch. To clarify, the motor has its own starting battery and the trolling motor has its own battery. It appears that the previous hook up was both black wires were hooked to the negative post and one red wire was connected to the positive post.

Thanks again!