Mini Speaker

Turing

Joined May 14, 2013
I have an assignment to make a speaker in a circuit (along with other things). The speaker I have is an 1-1/8" 8Ω Mini Speaker from Radio Shack (Part 273-0092). In the assignment I am only allotted a maximum of 6V from a lantern battery. I was able to get static coming from the speaker, but I don't know how to get specific sounds to the speaker (if I can...). Any suggestions as to how to wire in a manner to get recorded sounds (I'm thinking a song) from the speaker?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
The best you can hope for is a square wave tone with a pair of transistors, four resistors and two capacitors. You can also do the same with a 555 timer chip from radio shack.

Otherwise, if you are reasonably close to an AM radio station, you can try to make a high gain transistor circuit (or op amp circuit) and touch the input with your finger (using yourself as the antenna. This is not a sure fire way of making a noise coming from a circuit, it just randomly happens sometimes when building high gain amps.

What I am really trying to say is, buy a 555 timer from radio shack and the variety pack of resistors and the variety pack of electrolytic capacitors. Make a tone (google astable multivibrator circuit with 555 timer"). Build one, add a capacitor to the output (200uF) and connect the cap tithe speaker and the other speaker wire to ground (-).

Last option would be to simply connect the speaker to a radio -I doubt your teacher will approve.

edwardholmes91

Joined Feb 25, 2013
You might be interested in something like this that I made Toy Piano. You can change the complexity and number of notes as you require. The 555 timer is used as an astable and generates a square wave, the frequency of which can be adjusted by selecting different resistor values using a stylus. GopherT was referring you to a similar circuit design.