mini rant, i broke it

trader007

Joined Feb 27, 2010
Well, I'm not sure if I broke it or my step down controller just burnt out and took it with... but my nano router is dead!

It was the chinese nano router though, so its only a $17 loss, but the week-longer wait for a replacement hurts the most! I thought I bought a TL-WR702N from TPLink, but this is what came in the mail...

I spent a while configuring it, got it working with my network and rasperry pi, and then I go to solder it into my radio. On this radio, I had the power switch on the ground leg, which was fine until I hooked up this router. It was weird, but ground was flowing back from this router to the whole radio causing it to turn on even when the power switch was off.

To remedy it, I just swapped the power switch over to the positive side, and let all the grounds stay in circuit. I should have done this to begin with, I'm not sure why I thought it was better to switch the ground... But it did work after I sorted that out... for a few minutes... then the step down controller got really hot and pushed 7 volts out. This is what seemed to kill the router.

The Rpi was hooked up too, thats how I noticed something was wrong. The Rpi power light was on, but very dim. I quickly unhooked power and sorted things out.. but the router never came back. I tried tracing the power path but it looks to go right into the BGA cpu chipset... which doesnt get warm anymore so I think it's fried.

At least the Rpi seems to be OK... again, just $17 for the router but this still sucks! I hate when I fry things!

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
That's nothing, the other day I forgot the field regulator module and put the surge suppressor on the wrong output resulting in a cascading series of faults across the whole mux and after that smoke came out of the Bardac and now the s7-300 won't power on. Good thing the w/o rack is on a different bus, or the beckoffs might have had reverse polarity power put on them too.

trader007

Joined Feb 27, 2010
That's nothing, the other day I forgot the field regulator module and put the surge suppressor on the wrong output resulting in a cascading series of faults across the whole mux and after that smoke came out of the Bardac and now the s7-300 won't power on. Good thing the w/o rack is on a different bus, or the beckoffs might have had reverse polarity power put on them too.
i dont know what you just said, but it sounds expensive.

I ordered the new router last night and it still hasnt showed up yet. Something about it being Sunday and a 5-day delivery wait... I dont know but the wait is killing me.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
i dont know what you just said, but it sounds expensive.

I ordered the new router last night and it still hasnt showed up yet. Something about it being Sunday and a 5-day delivery wait... I dont know but the wait is killing me.
It didn't say anything; it was a parody of your post, because I didn't know what you said either ;).