Milliamp question

electricdan

Joined Feb 8, 2011
I have a question as for measuring Milliamps, i have the Greenlee DM-20 and am needing to dial something in to ~750mA. Is the multimeter capable? I cant figure out exactly which setting i need it on. I have everything in series to measure A but cant figure out the correct setting on the multimeter.
Here is a link to said multimeter.
http://www.greenlee.com/product/DM-20.html

Jaguarjoe

Joined Apr 7, 2010
Use the 200mv range with a current sensing resistor placed in series with your loop. A 100 ohm resistor will have 200mv across it with 2 amps of current through it. 750 ma will then display as 75mv. Use ohms law for any other combination.

The accuracy of the reading will be dependent on the accuracy of the resistor you chose. Most common resistors are 5%. 1% resistors are still pretty cheap.

The 100 ohm resistor in the above scenario will dissipate 400mw. Be sure to pick a resistor rated at 1 watt or more.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Use the 200mv range with a current sensing resistor placed in series with your loop. A 100 ohm resistor will have 200mv across it with 2 amps of current through it. 750 ma will then display as 75mv. Use ohms law for any other combination.
I think you mean a 0.1 Ω resistor. Otherwise, good advice.

John