Microswitch to operate or replace mechanical switch?

sethbang

Joined Oct 6, 2011
Hi, folks. I would like to accomplish something but I have no idea how to do it. It does not involve a blender, but it's a useful for explanation.

Blenders typically have a row of mechanical buttons. When you press one, the others are all released. So if you press Puree and then press Blend, the Puree button will pop back out.

In my scenario, the mechanical buttons are replaced with momentary microswitches (Happ arcade buttons). Does anyone know if this is possible? Does something like this already exist?

I want to make a gadget like a video A/B switch that can change composite outputs, but I want mine to have A/B/C/D options. There are mechanical versions of this (like a blender) commercially available but mine needs to be electronic.

I appreciate any help you can provide. Thank you.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
You do this with a latch type flip-flop for each switch. Each switch output (positive signal) goes to the respective Set input of the FF. Each switch output also goes to one input of a 4-input (for four switches) NOR gate. The NOR gate output goes to a 555 timer configured as a 1ms one-shot. The output of the 555 goes to all the Reset inputs of the flip-flops.

The operation is thus: Pushing the button causes the one-shot to momentarily reset all the FFs, but the one with the set input from the switch will go to the set position after the one-shot signal is done.

sethbang

Joined Oct 6, 2011
Thanks, crutschow. I have to admit that I don't know what all that means, but it sounds promising. I will share your response with someone more knowledgable than I in this area and hopefully we can put it together. Thanks again!