Microsoft Continues To Tick Me Off

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
If you could inhibit all binary updates you could conceivably have a hack-free computer.
It would be nice sometimes to be able to run your computer off-line.
I did exactly that a couple of years ago with the computer that I mainly use for work. I've never had a problem ever since. I've attached a file describing the steps to do it for Win10

Attachments

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
What version of Win are you using, 10, 11 or other?
Windows 7 for example has no problem with this.
Win 10 with regular auto updates. I just checked it, last msg was while in the car on way to another doctor. It comes up as only FAX along with both my printers as well as convert to PDF, MS XPS, and One Note whatever that is. Haven't used FAX in years so don't even have it plugged in to phone wall jack.

EDIT: In the command and search window type Windows Fax and Scan. Win Fax is an external non-MS application.

Last edited:

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Win 10 with regular auto updates. I just checked it, last msg was while in the car on way to another doctor. It comes up as only FAX along with both my printers as well as convert to PDF, MS XPS, and One Note whatever that is. Haven't used FAX in years so don't even have it plugged in to phone wall jack.

EDIT: In the command and search window type Windows Fax and Scan. Win Fax is an external non-MS application.
Oh ok that make sense.
Yeah the program made by MS is "Windows Fax And Scan" and is a well-known program that was included in Windows as far back as I can remember, or at least with Win7 anyway. I should mention that once you get it to work and figure out how to set up the contacts and start a new fax, it works quite well. The main problem people seem to be having is it is hard to get it to work right at first because there are no real error messages that will help you troubleshoot. One of the few error messages you will ever get is "Fax was not able to be sent due to an unexpected error". That tells you absolutely nothing about what you might do to fix it, and it could be as easy as closing out and restarting using Admin privileges, but it never says anything useful. The only useful message I have ever seen come up was the one about using a Local Dialing Method and it tells you to type the phone number rather than choose a contact, and I am not even sure that fix helps either.

Once you get the contact(s) set up right though it's pretty smooth as long as you check to see that the modem attached to the computer shows up in Device Manager and is said to be working properly. This was part of what made it a shame that it was removed because it worked well once set up right and there was no charge for sending a fax. It will also receive a fax. Supposedly it also can scan a document I guess if you have a scanner, but I never needed that function as the software that came with the flatbed scanner had that already and worked well by itself. So it was just a matter of scanning the document, maybe resizing to make it send faster, then typing a few things in the program and attaching the image, then sending the fax. It was rather slow sending, but not too bad, and that could be because of the modem being used it was a sort of cheap one.
I also had a GIANT fax machine I recently got rid of, it was just too dang big and used those ink jet cartridges that never worked right.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Got rid of my flat-bed scanner some years ago, when Windows no longer recognised it. Just photgraph documents with a digital camera these days.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Got rid of my flat-bed scanner some years ago, when Windows no longer recognised it. Just photgraph documents with a digital camera these days.
I had a big flat bed scanner but threw it out, then got a new one which is not really too small but it is thinner (less height) so it fits nice on a shelf. It's much faster than the old one too and runs completely off of USB so no clumsy wall wart to have to plug in and all that. Cannon seems to make some decent ones reasonably priced, or at least they were when I got mine.

Yes the phone camera is so high resolution now we can use that, and I do use that for everything that is not for any business or financial purpose. I regularly take photos of device manuals when there are not too many pages for example. A scanner works better though when you need a nice crisp, squarely aligned page that you might want to fax to a business.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Yes the phone camera is so high resolution now we can use that, and I do use that for everything that is not for any business or financial purpose.
Legal/financial firms have accepted my document pics without question, so I won't be getting a replacement scanner.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Legal/financial firms have accepted my document pics without question, so I won't be getting a replacement scanner.
Oh lucky you :)

Really that's great though. I just don't like seeing the trapezoidal graphic that sometimes comes about when the camera is not perfectly positioned in a plane perfectly parallel to the document. It ends up looking kind of unprofessional. You can get it fairly square, but then you also have some cropping to do unless you get it really, really positioned carefully.
Nice thing is cameras on cell phones these days have higher resolution than some expensive scanners made just for book pages.
Also nice is 300dpi is good enough for most text documents.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Another Windoze gripe. I recently used the Phone Link app to copy some pics from my Android phone to my laptop. Guess what? The app " helpfully" downsizes the image width and length resolutions by a factor of 2 and also manages to lose a lot of the EXIF metadata. I can't find any settings to prevent this behaviour.
In future I'll just use email or Google Drive to transfer pics via the web, or else use a USB cable.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Another Windoze gripe. I recently used the Phone Link app to copy some pics from my Android phone to my laptop. Guess what? The app " helpfully" downsizes the image width and length resolutions by a factor of 2 and also manages to lose a lot of the EXIF metadata. I can't find any settings to prevent this behaviour.
In future I'll just use email or Google Drive to transfer pics via the web, or else use a USB cable.
Hi,

Not too surprising. No doubt it's deemed a 'feature'.

Also, Win11 seems to have taken over the screen print function (Ctrl PrtScrn or Alt PrtScrn) and forces you to outline the area to be captured. One way around it might be to uninstall the Snipping Tool, but then you can't ever use it.
They do such stupid things sometimes you wonder who the heck is behind all this nutty stuff.