Microprocessor

Anthony Quah

Joined Dec 1, 2007
hi guys,

I am self learning guy, may i know what book/website available in the store which are good for beginner like me to start understanding microprocessor basic.. thanks

RiJoRI

Joined Aug 15, 2007
If you mean "microprocessor BASIC" -- the language -- then you'd need to get the manual on the version you will use.

However, you probably mean "microprocessor basics" -- which is the beginner stuff of microprocessors.

First, do you want "microprocessor" (μp) or "microcontroller" (μc)? The μc has the advantage of having memory and peripherals built in, which you would need to wire in for the μp. So, my suggestion would be to go the microcontroller route.

Now starts the religious wars of which μc to use! I think you should peruse the different forums of the AVR, Microchip, Texas Instruments, Renesas, and Parallax companies. Look around, get a feel for how they support newbies' questions. There is a world of difference between "Your question was answered in this thread: " with a reference following, and "Why don't you use the search function!!!"

Personal Note: I have recently gotten demo boards from 4 of the companies: The AVR Butterfly, the Microchip PICKit2, the TI MSP430, and the Parallax Propeller. The Propeller was the easiest to get up and running; followed by the Butterfly. Microchip & TI were more difficult, and might be nearly impossible for a complete novice. HOWever, the Prop is a "micro of a different color" and may not be good for general learning. I am sure others here will have their own opinions!

HTH,
--Rich

leftyretro

Joined Nov 25, 2008
If you mean "microprocessor BASIC" -- the language -- then you'd need to get the manual on the version you will use.

However, you probably mean "microprocessor basics" -- which is the beginner stuff of microprocessors.

First, do you want "microprocessor" (μp) or "microcontroller" (μc)? The μc has the advantage of having memory and peripherals built in, which you would need to wire in for the μp. So, my suggestion would be to go the microcontroller route.

Now starts the religious wars of which μc to use! I think you should peruse the different forums of the AVR, Microchip, Texas Instruments, Renesas, and Parallax companies. Look around, get a feel for how they support newbies' questions. There is a world of difference between "Your question was answered in this thread: " with a reference following, and "Why don't you use the search function!!!"

Personal Note: I have recently gotten demo boards from 4 of the companies: The AVR Butterfly, the Microchip PICKit2, the TI MSP430, and the Parallax Propeller. The Propeller was the easiest to get up and running; followed by the Butterfly. Microchip & TI were more difficult, and might be nearly impossible for a complete novice. HOWever, the Prop is a "micro of a different color" and may not be good for general learning. I am sure others here will have their own opinions!

HTH,
--Rich
I've found both the Picaxe series and the Arduino series to be very good for brand new beginners that want to explore the world of micro-controllers with the minimum of initial costs and the most helpful support avalible. The former uses Basic and the latter uses C as their programming language.

Both have very helpful forums, with users that are very patient with beginners. Starting right off with assembly language platforms is to me a very difficult starting point for beginners.

Lefty

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Don't forget the BASIC stamp (note the capital letters). Just stiring, there really is a lot of choices out there. How does the Arduino rate? This is one of those fields I'll need to jump into eventually.

RiJoRI

Joined Aug 15, 2007
... and don't let the language snobs scare you away from BASIC! Remember, BASIC stands for Beginners All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code (or something like that) with the emphasis on BEGINNER.

--Rich
(But shouldn't it have been called BAPSIC??) :D

PRS

Joined Aug 24, 2008
For about 80 dollars you can go to Radio Shack and buy a BASIC stamp kit and an instruction manual about 250 pages long. The kit includes some interesting projects that teach you how to use the stamp. This, I think, would be the fastest way to see whether or not you want to do this. If you try to figure everything out on your own (like I did years ago), you're in for alot of frustration. Good luck!

leftyretro

Joined Nov 25, 2008
Don't forget the BASIC stamp (note the capital letters). Just stiring, there really is a lot of choices out there. How does the Arduino rate? This is one of those fields I'll need to jump into eventually.
I think the Arduino is currently the best platform going for beginners!

All the software is open source and the hardware design is open source. User contributed libraries are constantly being added to. Lots of hardware vendors have products available because of the open source nature of the design and that has kept board prices to a absolute minimum.

The free PC IDE is currently at version 12, so it's mature and stable with lots of additions and enhancements being added frequently. My only thought originally was it's use of C as the user programming language might not be the best choice for a raw beginner, but the IDE hides a lot of the complex start up knowlege required in C and therefore starting with C is not the hurdle as it could be in the past.

However there is nothing wrong with starting out with BASIC and that's why I mentioned the Picaxe series. While not open sourced it does have a very low cost entry price and a very good starting off point for beginners.

Sorry to sound like such a fan boy for the Arduino line, but I have been very impressed playing with it for the last month or two. How many other $20-$30 development systems are there out there that can run on windows, apple and Linux and provide a free PC IDE and high level language, and all open sourced?

Lefty

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Lets take Anthony Quah post and take it apart,Like how his name is
shown.What make the page. what is hardware,what is soft ware.
Who wants to start, Make the page 50% so it will be centered.With arrows point out what going with every line. The power supply lightes
the screen.Come on guys a little computer lesson without links. Start logging on computer,logging on a.c.c.,
point out hardware ,sofeware.We can take years to read all the books, but C.S.I. is a new term that people like
and some members and guest will say that neat.

Last edited: