Microphone at remote home: is there a cheap way to do this?

likes_shiny_things

Joined Sep 11, 2011
I have a weekend home where I want to install a microphone that I can access from my primary residence (or possibly on my smartphone) at any time to listen in for a specific activity.

Do you know of any way to inexpensively create (or does anyone offer an off-the-shelf product) a device that would work through POTS or by IP. I have a wireless router at that location. For instance, I currently can control my HVAC remotely through IP.

I'm aware of IP security camera/microphone systems, but I was hoping to come up with a way to do it inexpensively and perhaps there was a microphone-only choice.

Thank you!

likes_shiny_things

Joined Sep 11, 2011
The IP cameras I see on Amazon, for instance, for about $50 - is all you need just the camera and the router? No other hardware?

If so, that's great!

What kind of interface is there to access it remotely? Is it software that comes with the camera and you view it on a Web browser?

Thanks for your reply!

likes_shiny_things

Joined Sep 11, 2011
I do have a wireless router at the weekend home.

Will the one you linked to ("wireless") or an IP camera allow me to remotely (my primary residence) access audio/video on my PC or smartphone without any other hardware or any other costs?

I appreciate your help.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Honestly, I have not used any of these devices. I am only going by what I read in the specs. As I understand, you can set up the camera software to record on any given event or schedule. It can also notify you when there is a trigger event such as unauthorized entry. You can access the camera or recordings remotely as long as you have internet access.

You can read more about it here:

https://www.trendnet.com/products/proddetail.asp?prod=205_TV-IP551WI

I am not promoting any particular product. I am only using this as an example.