Microcontrollers with high temperature range.

veerubiji

Joined Oct 9, 2012
Hi,
I am looking for components which works at high temperature. Especially I am looking for microcontrollers which works at 180 °C to 200 °C. I need to found microcontroller which works fine at extreme conditions. If the microcontroller have built in CAN interface then it would be really nice? or any other methods and microcontrollers that i can use for my project.

I found one microcontroller from TEXAS which is SM320F28335-HT but the cost of that microcontroller is very expensive. Is there any microcontroller with low cost and works at high temperature.

Last edited:

Litch

Joined Jan 25, 2013
Is there any microcontroller with low cost and works at high temperature.
That is mutually exclusive I'm afraid.

Look for military grade uC's or special environment listed models - they're all going to be very expensive, else depending on cost - you could look at preventative measures if possible (Get a $5 uC and spend a bit of money on preventing the chip heating up via cooling or insulation).

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Is the high temperature coming from the ambient environment, or is it coming from running a CMOS uP at a very high speed? The approach to the problem depends on the answer.

Last edited:

Litch

Joined Jan 25, 2013
This one actually mentions deep-drilling application, and 210C temp range (similar to the one you've already found)

http://www.ti.com/product/sm320f2812-ht

Though it's in a 181 pin package (181CPGA).

All others I can find don't have an operational temp range above 150C....

Anyway - what are you trying to acheive? It's all well and good selecting a uC but you'll be paying 20x the cost of that to develop a prototype that you can test in the field.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Getting a uP to work at those temperatures is only the beginning. Every other component and the PCB has to work at those temperatures. BTW do you know what the melting temperature of solder is? For Sn/Pb alloys it is less than 220 degrees C by quite a bit.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
... BTW do you know what the melting temperature of solder is? For Sn/Pb alloys it is less than 220 degrees C by quite a bit.
About 180'C for melt point, and even at 150'C there is a large chance of solder softening and dry joint failures etc.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
The oil industry is already replete with a large number of downhole tools and the companies utilizing them have billion dollar plus research and development budgets.

Who exactly is wanting you to design such a tool from scratch and why is it you don't have access to the large amount of design research information and cannot use existing product for your project?

Baker Oil Tools labs are not where I work, but I do know what goes on there and find your 'needs' very strange. Who is your intended buyer for this product? Nobody that is subject to governmental oversight and production safety regulations is going to touch it without 'proof' of its safety and you will require the services of a very large insurance entity to back you up on that.

I highly doubt this is the real objective here.