Microcontroller with RS232 and GSM

circuit_k

Joined Jan 14, 2011
I am seeking a microcontroller and a GSM module. But I have to less experience to put something together. I hope you can help.

The GSM module do I have found here: http://www.navex.eu/module.html This seems to be a really stable GSM Module. (If you advice another, I hope you say it)

Now the microcontroller. I need one that can send commands and read data from another external controller RS232 port. And it must be possible to attach the GSM module to it (the one I mentioned or another one).

Price is best around 70 to 130€ in total.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

skybox

Joined Mar 2, 2009
Look at the PIC 16bit series of Microcontrollers. What you will be looking for is how many USART's you will need. This will allow the PIC to send RX/TX to a device. In addition, since PIC sends out TTL level signals, you will also need a level converter, such as the MAX323 chip, to convert to RS-232 levels.

That module uses simple RS-232 communication which the PIC8 or 16 bit series should handle. All other specs you need are up to you.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Actually look at the 18F series. They are optimized for C. You'll be glad you wen with C or some other high level language.

Most PICs have a UART port. If they don't you can bit bang using a regular port. The C18 compiler library has libraries for both types.

You are still going to need a ship to translate to Rs232 voltages as skybox said.

If you decide you want to go this route I can point you to more documentation.

circuit_k

Joined Jan 14, 2011
Thank you all for your responses, they'r really helpful!
And sorry for my late response!

What I want is indeed programming at the RS-232, I need to convert incoming signals. And if its possible to program in a highlevel programming language such as C or C++ where I am experienced in.

But what spinnaker say, the 18F series, if you can advice me?

The requirements for the board are the following:
- RS-232 port
- GPRS/GSM support (if not too expensive also a TCP/IP stack)
- Programmable in C/C++
- PIC/AVR no preference

The one that does meet to my requirements is this one: http://www.olimex.com/dev/pic-gsm.html. But its to expensive for me. Maybe you have 3 or 4 components which I can put together to a working board?
Or maybe a better development board?

Thanks!

skybox

Joined Mar 2, 2009
If your looking for an off the shelf board that will have all the components you need, it's going to be expensive.

It would be cheaper to layout the board yourself with your own selected IC's and transceiver module. Most transceiver module's work off RS232 communications, and some like the Digi's work off of TTL levels for communication.