Microcontroller with enough memory for a camera module

hosSM

Joined Sep 4, 2013
Hi,
I am trying to design a device that uses a camera module for measurement purpose.
I will need to take a picture (resolution 1920x1024) and treat it to determine the distance. To do that I will need around 16MB, and a flash memory won't do because it is too slow. So it should be a RAM memory.
I don't know so many kinds of microcontrollers (I only worked on STM32F4) and I don't know where I can find a microcontroller with 16MB SRAM. Or maybe I should add SRAM memory to my electronics. What is the better solution?
Someone can help me?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Add the SRAM to the micro-controller.

You're not likely to find one with enough on-board memory. Of course, as soon as I make such a statement one of our dear readers will trot out an example that proves me wrong. That's kinda why I'm going out on a limb -- to tempt the fates and provoke the opposite response.

The most on board RAM I've seen is an Analog Devices DSP like this one:

http://www.analog.com/en/processors-dsp/tigersharc/adsp-ts201s/products/product.html

I assume you know that you'll pay through the nose for it.

Last edited:

John P

Joined Oct 14, 2008
Maybe you can use a microcontroller with external RAM. The processor could set up part of the address (video row) following an interrupt from the horizontal sync pulse, then allow some kind of external clock (do you have access to the camera's pixel clock?) to advance a counter which generates the rest of the address and produces a strobe to operate the A/D converter(s) and the write pulse.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The STM32F407 is already designed to do this.
You can capture the camera data via DMA into internal RAM and simultaneously write the data out to a larger external RAM using a second DMA process.