Microcontroller system on Ethernet

2rlp

Joined Feb 27, 2007
Hi,

My superiors want me to design a Tea / Coffee vending machine with Ethernet capabilities. At present our vending machines stand alone, operator oriented and are controlled by an Atmel 89C52. Any ideas how I could go about designing this? Will Microchip's ENC28J60 & Atmel's 89C52 do the trick? I am not much aware of the Ethernet system :(

Ron

Last edited:

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Whichever microcontroller you select should have the Ethernet capability built in for simplicity. And it will need to be able to handle the process control loop to dispense the coffee/tea, plus any other additional capabilities (like supplies inventory, cash on hand, state of the change dispenser, jams, etc.).

If the Ethernet isn't possible as a feature, then some tranceiver board has to get put in, along with the added features in the program.

Don't hurry - as soon as it's ready, somebody will insist it be changed to go wireless. Seen that happen.

John Luciani

Joined Apr 3, 2007
Hi,

My superiors want me to design a Tea / Coffee vending machine with Ethernet capabilities. At present our vending machines stand alone, operator oriented and are controlled by an Atmel 89C52. Any ideas how I could go about designing this? Will Microchip's ENC28J60 & Atmel's 89C52 do the trick? I am not much aware of the Ethernet system :(

Ron
The least expensive hardware cost would be to use uC with an ethernet interface.
The quickest way would be to add an Ethernet module. Checkout the O'Reilly book
"Making Things Talk" for some ideas on Ethernet modules.

(* jcl *)