Microcontroller for flashing LED array

dashdingo

Joined Nov 19, 2008
Hi, I'm new to microcontroller programming and I'm about to start a project, but I want to make sure I don't buy a microcontroller that can't suit my needs.

I want to build an LED array that is controlled by the input to an ADC. Different LED's will turn on depending on the input. I don't need incredible precision for the input (just high medium and low) and I need to control 6 LED's. I came up with the PIC18F452, but I feel like that may be more than I need. I'm thinking I could use something like the PIC12F675 because this doesn't seem too demanding a task.

Can anyone recommend which would be better suited for the job?

Also, the LED's will actually be strings of 3-6 in series. I imagine the microcontrollers mentioned can handle the output current requirements for this, am I wrong? I'm thinking if they can't, I can design an analog setup to take care of it.

Thanks

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
If you have not already invested in the software programming tools and purchased a programmer for the PIC, you may want to take a close look at the AVR family of microcontrollers.

You can download immediately for free, the software development tools. First you go to www.atmel.com and download and install the FREE assembly language compiler/simulator called AVRSTUDIO. Next you go to www.sourceforge.net and download the FREE C-compiler called WINAVR. WINAVR is a plug-in that works with AVRSTUDIO.

hgmjr

John Luciani

Joined Apr 3, 2007
if you haven't purchased PIC hardware I would also recommend the AVR devices (ATmega168).

I would probably go the Arduino route. The software is easy to setup and there are
a variety of low-cost boards for development.

(* jcl *)

Arm_n_Legs

Joined Mar 7, 2007
You can also try Silicon Lab C8051F226. This is a 8051 derivative with ADC built-in. The chip comes with a DEBUG cell which make debugging easy. The kit also come with an evaluation copy of the Keil C51 compiler.