Microcontroller Based Line Transformer Tap Changer

S Mehdi

Joined Jan 30, 2009
Hi to all,
This is first post in here, so please ignore if I lack a few norms.

I have been using PIC micros for a few years now.

Now, I am trying to make a Static Line Voltage Regulator (SLVR), microcontroller based, of course.

SLVR's Ratings would be like, Input : 150VAC to 290VAC, Output - 220VAC ± 5%, Load at output - 30 Amps

I have a basic idea that Power Transformer's tappings can be selected by triacs or thyristors (of suitable current, of course). And this triac or thyristor selection is to be made by microcontroller, after providing neccessary isolation by optocouplers, etc. But, dont ve idea that this concept would work. It would be great, if someone can provide me a better idea.

So, if I can get any basic design idea or principle then it would be very obliging.

If a similar SLVR has been discussed earlier, it would be beneficial for me to provide the link.

Thanks to all of you.
Regards,
S Mehdi

GirishC

Joined Jan 23, 2009
Hi to all,
This is first post in here, so please ignore if I lack a few norms.

I have been using PIC micros for a few years now.

Now, I am trying to make a Static Line Voltage Regulator (SLVR), microcontroller based, of course.

SLVR's Ratings would be like, Input : 150VAC to 290VAC, Output - 220VAC ± 5%, Load at output - 30 Amps

I have a basic idea that Power Transformer's tappings can be selected by triacs or thyristors (of suitable current, of course). And this triac or thyristor selection is to be made by microcontroller, after providing neccessary isolation by optocouplers, etc. But, dont ve idea that this concept would work. It would be great, if someone can provide me a better idea.

So, if I can get any basic design idea or principle then it would be very obliging.

If a similar SLVR has been discussed earlier, it would be beneficial for me to provide the link.

Thanks to all of you.
Regards,
S Mehdi
I think you can implement your idea only think is make sure before firing next thyristor first thyristor is turned off . You will have problems if load happens to be inductive so current does not become zero even voltage is zero.