microcontoller based power theft controller

Varsha

Joined Nov 17, 2008
Can somebody give me some direction and guidance on this idea..i would be grateful,am a third year engineering student looking out for projects...
Thank you
Varsha

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Which microcontroller you want to be involved in your projects? And then you should know how to program it.
That may be putting the cart before the horse. Is there any reliable theft detection technology that can be used? We had a similar thread some weeks ago where the OP thought that a TDR could be used. I don't think it can, but the thread died before we could gather additional thoughts or alternatives.

Varsha

Joined Nov 17, 2008
could it something like having a check meter at the main office..and then communicating the reading at home to the main office..

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I don't know. How about stating the problem and the requirements for a solution. At least part of the problem is how to prevent the thieves from disabling or bypassing the device.

The other problem is a political one. If the "police" come down on poor people living at a subsistance level you're liable to have riots in the streets.

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
You can use a sensor to sense when the glass of a window brakes and another sensor to sense when the window opens. You can use a GSM controller to send remote signals which will indicate when one or both of the above situations occur. The alarm system can be powered by a back up battery in case the thieves shut down the electricity.

Hey i m a third year electronics n comm. student and i m in varsha's group.
well the point is its not only to prevent theft as in by theives but also to avoid manipulations done by corrupted people in order to reduce their bills...say making the meter run slow

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
One expensive elaboration is to place the watt hour metering inside at the fuse/breaker panel, so all the power used in the home has to go through the device. With accurate metering at a higher distribution point, discrepancies between the reported use per home and the area power consumption would show up.

Not sure if this qualifies as grinding the faces of the proletariat.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
That's what I thought you were talking about. Like I said there was a previous thread on the subject that died before we could determine how such an anti-theft technology might work. As you quite rightly point out even if it can be detected, how do you secure the device against tampering?

I understood that from the previous thread on power theft detection, that in the part of the world where this is a problem, theft and corruption are epidemic. My point was that even if detection was successful, enforcement would be problematical. Enforcement is obviously a political problem, and not a technical one.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
That presumes that the people on the other end actually care about the incoming phone calls. Enforcement is a political problem, not a technical one.