Microchip:Pickit2-Pic16F690

lmartinez

Joined Mar 8, 2009
I have bought the Pickit 2 Kit to Refresh my memory on how to write assembly code to program the pic chips. However, I received a CD with the software that allows my PC to communicate to the programmer and the chip. It appears that there is no other software in the package that will allow me to write the assembly code to re-programed the chip that came with the package. As a refresher to me, I took microcontollers in school a while ago(long time ago), it appears to me there should of been a software package included to compile the assembly code and then convert it to a hex file; so it can be loaded to the programable chip. Does any one know which software or application I most utilized for programming the chips,PIC16F690? I would prefer to use C++ as the programming language rather than assembly code. Please advice and thank you in advance.

Nanophotonics

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Hi
I'm not really sure about using C++ to program the PIC, but I do know that there are some versions of C compilers to program PIC and these information are available on Microchip's website. I personally found the CCS C compiler helpful though the free version is unfortunately very limited.

Thanks.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
MPLAB IDE, Microchip C, Hi-Tech C, and a standalone PicKit 2 application (Programmer, Logic Probe, USART Debugger) are all on the CD.

The menu should bring up the install choices/options, make sure MPLAB IDE is checked in addition to the pic kit 2 software.

Then you will have a "Microchip" program group, with MPLAB IDE, and a few other programs under it in your start menu.

If you do not, you can browse to \program files\microchip\mplab and double click the mplab.exe file.

If you think you may have installed it wrong, uninstall it thorugh control panel, then run the complete setup again, following the "Poster" that came with it.

C++ on a microcontroller is a bit of overkill unless you are writing a very intricate application. Standard C is the most common form of examples, and is the same syntax as C++, but without classes/inheritance. The standard functions and included libraries are nothing like Win32 C++ for event driven programming.

Worse case: Browse the CD, and you will find an MPLAB folder with an installer in it, run that. :)