Microchip ICD2 for the beginner

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
My nephew is learning about PIC microcontrollers at school. And he want some equipment for xmas. I can get a brand new ICD 2 which the price is knocked off 82% so it is a real barging. I Know ICD 2 will not support new MCU or dsPIC devices released after September 2010. But does this really matter much? I think it still will be cool gift? Any thoughts about this. A PICKIT 3 debug express is somewhat over my budget, as I aslo have something else for him.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
I'd suggest the PICKit2. The ICD 2 is kind of a pain due to the RJ type connector needed, or adapter to the RJ jack, which you would need to get to be compatible with most ICSP friendly demo boards.

The PICKit 2 Also acts as a 3 channel logic analyzer, a TTL Serial Port, and a "Load Once, Program Many" PIC Programmer where the program is stored in the PICKit2, and you only need to switch boards and press the button to program a lot of PICs if that is ever a need.

I've never used my ICD 2 since I got the PICKit 3, it is rather obsolete.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
If the price is right, get it.

He will have MANY uC's to play with WELL before the ICD2 cant handle them.

Most of the PICs I use are in the range of capable chips for the ICD2

In a few years, when he is ready for some serious power, he can step up. He can do EVERYTHING that was done with those uC's up until now... So go get it.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
If the price is right, get it.

He will have MANY uC's to play with WELL before the ICD2 cant handle them.

Most of the PICs I use are in the range of capable chips for the ICD2

In a few years, when he is ready for some serious power, he can step up. He can do EVERYTHING that was done with those uC's up until now... So go get it.
I got the ICD2 module. It costed less than a PICKIT 2 module. I have made some different breakout cables for connecting to the ICD2 RJ12 connector. So it is now compatible with the PICKIT 2 connector.