micro switch help

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Whatever you do "fordman", don't go and say that this is for a car. if it is, don't say it, because automotive topics are banned here.

So, need a little more info. you just want simple up/down control for one acutator only? do you have limit switches, or are the limit switches already installed inside your actuator? actually, a link to your actuator would be nice. If it's a high power one, this joystick probably won't work, or will require a relay circuit to work.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
There are joysticks with anywhere from 1 to 8 switches on them on the page you linked.

Which one do you have?

What is the load/device being switched?

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
nothing fancy about the joystick..Move it to one position and that microswitch is on (contacts closed), move to another and that micro is on. Its not like it has potentiometers or anything in it.
Now you need to finish your question and tell us EXACTLY what you are trying to control with this and exactly how you want it to function.

fordman86

Joined Jan 16, 2012
Ok guess the email upon reply wasn't set so sorry for the delay. I have two motions I want to do and this is a 4way one is a up and down actuator and the other is a left and right motor and no not for a car. I know to some this is easy but not me lol. here is the actuator got the 600lb one. http://warnerlinear.com/B-TrackK2VL.asp

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
ok, the graphs on the datasheet for the k2vl show the amps sloping up to 25A; I assume the amps will actually go much higher than that (actuator rated @ 3000lbs but chart max's out at 600lbs), so running the actuator power through those little joystick microswitches is out of the question (see switch contact ratings = 0.1A - p/n 95-4114-00). you will need to run the actuator power through high power relays, and control those relays with the joystick. I am confused about the arrangement of the microswitches on the 4-way joystick; how many are there? In the picture there are only 2 shown, but I don't see how this could possibly work. please clarify.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Can you explain the overall goal of what you are trying to do?

You are talking about up/down/moving, but have one actuator, which we don't know the power rating for. Did it come with a sheet stating how many amps at 12V or 24V it needs?

fordman86

Joined Jan 16, 2012
Ok I am wanting to control my snowblower on my garden tractor. I had dpdt rockers and found out about these joysticks so want to go that route. I am using the above actuator for the up down and also have a window motor from a car for the chute rotation.

I guy that told me about the joysticks has been using it for close to 3 years with no relays and no issues. Don't know what it needs for amps or what it draws for amps sorry. Also they use a joystick for a jonny bucket.

http://www.johnnyproducts.com/JP_Parts_HTMs/Joystick-Hardware.htm

Last edited:

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Can you explain the overall goal of what you are trying to do?

You are talking about up/down/moving, but have one actuator, which we don't know the power rating for. Did it come with a sheet stating how many amps at 12V or 24V it needs?
that info can be found on page 13 (the 4th page in the PDF) here. the actuator draws 25A and I assume much more because the actuator is rated @ 3000lbs but chart max's out at 600lbs/25A.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
http://www.lizardlick.com/assets/images/happ/joysticks/happ_compstick_black.jpg

A fellow internet friend that told me about these joysticks has been using it for close to 3 years with no relays or issues don't know why. does it matter I going to run this on a 12v system. And the risk of being deleated this is for a power lift on a garden tractor snowblower.
Ok I made a mistake, they are rated for 10A, not .1A. This still doesn't cut it, but might be able to work. do this; go back to your original page (http://na.suzohapp.com/joysticks/ultimate_joy.htm) and click on "Mounting & Exploded Views" - you see the microswitch P/N is 95-0733-01. then go here and see it is rated for 10A. Now go here and see that your actuator hits 10A when lifting either 85lbs (K2VLG05) or 120lbs (K2VLG10) or 275lbs (K2VLG20). So, theoretically you could run the power through the joystick as long as you don't try to lift anybody with the bucket and as long as you don't stick the bucket in the ground and then try to lift it. It is always recommended to use a switch that is rated well above the max current it is possible to draw.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I'll make you a little drawing on how to wire it up if you just want to run the power through the joystick and "chance it". if you want to do it the right way, and use properly rated relays, I can make one for that. Let me know.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Here's for doing it straight through the joystick.
I don't have time to draw the one with relays right now. I'll try to get back to it later. if you don't hear back in 24hrs or so remind me. Or maybe someone else could help me out.

Attachments

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Cool thanks for that will give it a try.
oh, wait! before you do that, I should mention one crucial thing I forgot to draw in the drawing - a fuse. you need a 10A fuse in line with the red wire coming out of the battery + terminal (see changed drawing - attached). If you don't put the fuse there, what's going to happen is, as soon as your motor draws more than 10A (which I'm pretty sure it will), the switch contacts in your joystick will weld together and the actuator will continue moving even after you take your hand off the stick. Once the runaway actuator reaches the end of its stroke, it will start drawing mega amps and your joystick will catch on fire, your wires will melt, you actuator will burn up, and your battery migh explode.

Please acknowledge that you have read this warning

Attachments

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Fordman, fordman, come in fordman. Don't do it without the fuse, over. Don't do it without the fuse fordman, do you read me? Over.

fordman86

Joined Jan 16, 2012
No I didn't do it yet so all good it's like 27* here with wind chill of 19 plus work tomorrow morning so will work on then. Try and get all my wires made up inside. would 12 gauge be ok for about 3' of wire? I ran a 20A dpdt rocker and no problem maybe this will work.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
If you have the same model snowblower, and yours has rocker switches and the guy you talked to simply swapped out the joystick, I'm guessing there's a relay between the switches and blower.

Switch your DMM to 10A Mode, and pull the rocker switch out, put the black lead on one wire, and the red lead on the other, this will turn the actuator ON, and show you how much current is being used. If it is in the 0.1A range, there's already a relay in circuit, I'm guessing.

Or was this already done and I missed it?