Micro choice, any advice?

Franco_oz

Joined Jan 12, 2009

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Among the most popular microcontrollers are PICs and AVRs.

If you are interested in free development software then you may want to consider the Atmel AVR series of microcontrollers.

hgmjr

Franco_oz

Joined Jan 12, 2009
I am already using picaxe and pic, looking to go one step further and use a "better" human interface for the main uC controlling the lot. The idea of a small touch screen would be interesting and looks better than my messy proto boards?

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
I guess I got the impression from your original post that you had not decided on the micro.

Since you already have chosen PIC as your micro then I understand your preference to stay with what you know.

hgmjr

Franco_oz

Joined Jan 12, 2009
Sorry Hgmjr, i didn't explain my question. I have different little controllers around my farm using mainly picaxe and a couple of pics which i programmed using ladder logic (i was introduced to it by ELBC). I also have two diesel generators controlled by a card designed by Mik3 who convinced me to move to uc (you were right Mik... it's a hell of a lot easier!) now i would like to use the above mentioned ARM as a sort of server to control all (or most) of the little controller i have. Currently they not interconnected and i use a sort of "guess and match" between them. IE the shed doesn't know when the diesel genset is running and the diesel doesn't know when the batteries are getting flat in my solar system. I started this all about 2 years ago and i slowly learned about uc. As i am not an expert in the field i rely a lot on what you guys suggest. Is my idea of a main controller to handle and "drive" the slave controller stupid? Should i approach this in a different way? Any input or advice will be useful.
Hell i am not sure if i make any sense hahaha i better run and check if the water tank is full and put the pump off :)