mic insert vs piezo transducer?

Neil Groves

Joined Sep 14, 2011
ok i just built a sound to light circuit (colour organ) and works fine with line in, i hooked up a mic via a pre amp and no signal, i then tried a different design of pre amp and still no signal, i breadboarded a 3rd design pre amp and no signal, i thought this is really odd, i went out and bought another mic insert, STILL no signal so in desperation i ripped the mic off the board and fitted a piezo transducer i had laying around and hey presto, gallons of signal at the output, so my questions are thus..........
Can i use a piezo transducer in place of a mic insert?, why would a tranducer work and not a mic insert? is the tranducer as efficient as a mic insert?
the mic insert i tried is from the velleman sound to light unit kit, the transducer is from radioshack, the circuits i tried for the pre amp were an op amp design, a bipolar transistor design and a f.e.t input design, none of which work with the mic.
any idea's please?

Neil.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
It is very confusing when you have the same project on two websites and on many separate threads.
I replied on the other website to a few of your threads but since most are duplicated then I missed some threads here.

The Velleman Sound to Light Kit #103 comes with a 2-wires electret mic. It will not work if its pins are connected backwards or if it is not powered. It already has a mic preamp, why did you add another preamp? How did you connect them?

A piezo transducer usually sounds awful.

Please attach the schematics of your Sound to Light circuit and preamps here, not on another thread.