METROTECH 9800 CABLE, FAULT LOCATOR HELP.

DEFTEC

Joined Jan 29, 2009
HEY GUYS, IM NEW TO THE FORUM & ELECTRONICS, LOL...ANYWAY IM IN BIG TROUBLE. I HAVE THIS $3,000.00 MACHINE, A CABLE LOCATOR, IT IS OUT OF WARRANTY AND THE ON/OFF SWITCH IS/WAS BROKEN BUT MANAGED TO FIX MYSELF, SIMPLY REPLACED IT, WHILE I WAS DRILLING THE HOLE FOR THE NEW SWITCH, THE DRILL BIT HIT A DIODE, OR A TRANSISTOR. NOT SHURE WHAT IS IS, BUT IT DAMMAGED IT, NOW THE LOCATOR DOSENT WORK AT ALL. THE DIODE OR WHAT EVER IT IS LOOKS LIKE A HALF CIRCLE, STRAIGHT ON SIDE AN FLAT ON THE OTHER WITH 3 WIRES, ON THE CIRCUIT BOARD IT SAYS Q1 WHERE IT GOES. CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT THIS IS AND IS THIS SOMETHING I CAN FIX NOW, ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANKS

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Please turn off the caps lock - no need to shout.

The device is most likely a transistor. That is consistent with the Q1 label, and the TO-92 package. Unfortunately, there are hundreds, if not thousands of transistors that come in the black epoxy TO-92 package.

Can you get any numbers and letters off the flat of the package. Something like 2N2222 would be great, as that is a very common type.

Don't forget to take the time to get the drill shavings out of the case.