Merry Christmas, Recipes and Other Holiday Stuff.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I love Christmas! I begrudge no other religion their Holidays, but this one is mine!

There is also the foods that get served no other time during the year. What's yours?

I'll start off with one I'm fond of, Eggnog. This resembles commercial eggnog not in the slightest, one of these days I'll see what kind of ice cream it will make. Warning, it has a short shelf live due to the lack of preservatives. :)

----------------------------------------------------------------

Egg Nogg

Ingredients:
1/3 Cup Sugar
2 Egg Yolks
1/4 Tsp Salt
4 Cups Milk
2 Egg Whites
3 Tablespoons Sugar
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
1/2 Cup Cream

Directions:
Beat 1/3 Cup Sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt into egg yolks. Add milk. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly till mixture coats spoon (75°C/165°F).

Let Cool.

Beat egg whites till foamy, then gradually add 3 tablespoons of sugar, beating to soft peaks. Add custard and mix thoroughly. Add flavoring and cream and chill for three or four hours. Sprinkle with nutmeg. Add rum to taste.

--------------------

Common mistakes include overcooking, if you start getting a film over the mixture it is too hot. It is drinkable, but it will have small lumps. Next batch needs to be cooked less.

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
What would Christmas be without Christmas Carols!?!

Most people know the tune, but somehow the words devolve into "Dah dah DAH dah..."

This was my solution, far as I know it is PD.

Attachments

floomdoggle

Joined Sep 1, 2008
Hey Bill,
Yes, Christmas is the best. Guess we can agree on something.
To you an all of yours, the merriest of Christmases, and the new year, may you be profitable and healthy.
Dan

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
I eat to the Drummer Boy,one of my favorites.I like all the carols,
that part of Chistmas will never go away,I hope. I drink my share of egg nog
and claxton fruit cake from Claxton,Ga you can visit the place where it's
made and get a sample.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
On Christmas Eve a tired engineer realized to his dismay he had forgotten to get his wife a Christmas gift.

He frantically scanned the stores, and saw a pet store that hadn't closed its doors yet.

He went in and explained his predicament. The clerk thought about it for a minute, and explained they had pretty much been cleared out, except for a little parakeet named Chet. "I don't know why he hasn't sold", the clerk explained, "He does some nice Christmas tricks".

The engineer expressed interest, so the clerk took him to a little bird in his cage. He lite a match, and held it well under his left foot.

Chet burst into song, "Silent Night! Holy Night!" and sang the whole song through.

Then the clerk lite another match, and held it well under his right foot.

"Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle all the Way!", and sang it all the way through.

The customer was very pleased, and bought Chet and all the accessories he needed.

Later, his happy wife and man were laying in front of the fire drinking their egg nogg looking up at their new pet, and his wife asked, "What happens if you hold the match between his legs?"

"I don't know", the engineer said, and tried the experiment forthwith.

Silence.

"Chet's nuts roasting on an open fire..."

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Bill, Great story ,look at all the hits your X-Mas post Is getting.X-Mas Is alive
and well.I guest people hear about X-mas all round the world,Good Ole Chet.They
don't understand. Merry Christ from Loosewire,I spent 3 hours In your albuns
the other day,got answers to a lot of questions I had,so the old post has a place
If we take time to look.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
My favorite recipe is Christmas Screwdriver:

2parts Orange Juice
1part Decent Vodka

Mix together while listening to Christmas music. Thats the key to the "Christmas Screwdriver"

If you dont like the music, you can substitute it with Thinking of Christmas while drinking.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
This time of year we all have a feal good spirit.
Good spirits are all around us no matter where
we are. You can enjoy the season in many ways.
Listen to music,play in the snow,watch the moving
lights glow as you have your cheer,your friends near.
We celebrate together with out care of who we are.
We are all like family for a few days of the year.
Closeness is near as we hear the bells ring,it must
be a Holiday thing. The peace gifts we bring to the
world to be blessed,we for wait the New Year. A few
Holiday words from Loosewire who will celebrate
Chistmas,while every one celebrates there Holidays
the way they are accustomed too.

Loosewire,wm

Last edited:

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Its beginning to feel alot like Christmas and every one is celebrating
there Holidays. I went to a bruch yesterday.The host talked about
all the wine tasteing he attends. I had great bacon potato soup,don't
forget about that Ga. Claxton fruit cake.The bus should know about Claxton,
stop by for a sample,fruits and nuts a great Chistmas experience.I have
two santa outfits do you think i would do a loud HO..HO..HO..

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
... had great bacon potato soup,don't
forget about that Ga. Claxton fruit cake.The bus should know about Claxton
I love fruit cake. It is my favourite holiday snack. Made me the man I am today!.

The soup sounds great too.

I make a similar soup starting from an old Irish recipe for bacon and cabbage. By bacon, the Irish mean what American call a ‘picnic shoulder’.

You make the bacon and cabbage by putting the picnic shoulder, the cabbage and washed potatoes all in the same pot. Boil until the potatoes are done. Put in about 5 big potatoes more than will be eaten with the cabbage and bacon. Eat some of the bacon, all the cabbage and some of the potatoes as one meal. Save 3 cups of the water you boiled everything in.

Use the leftover potatoes and bacon to make a thick soup. Start by frying a cup of chopped onions in a large pot. I use grape-seed oil, but butter or olive oil will do fine.

Once the onions turn translucent (about 10 minutes) add a half-cup of grated carrots and a half-cup of very finely sliced celery. Add a ¼ cup of the water you saved. Let simmer for 5 minutes.

Make sure you get all the skin off the potatoes and chop the bacon into ½ cm cubes. 1 or 2 cups (500g) of bacon is ideal. Mash the 5 potatoes into the onions, carrots and celery, and add the bacon cubes and enough of the saved water to arrive at the desired viscosity. Add about a teaspoon full of ground black pepper and 2 cloves of finely chopped garlic. Add salt to taste. Simmer for 10 minutes. Should serve 4 – 5.

Enjoy. This is an original dish (the soup) and I’d appreciate any feedback if you try it. Ham can be substitued for the picnic shoulder (but will not have the same flavour).

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
What is Christmas...I know it's 25th December.
I know there is no such think as Santa...

The Holiday spirit and family gathering and gift sharing and eating and all that stuff is cool. If it is that than Happy holidays to you all too.

But I like to know what's with Christmas. Why 25th, what day is it?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
It is an arbitrary day that was picked to celebrate Christ's birth. I suspect the actual day will never be known. Over the millenia it has picked up a lot of traditions that are frankly pagan, but the spirit of the holiday remains. It is not a coincidence it is so close to the winter solstice, a very bleak and scary time of year, where people in the far north could use a bit of cheering up. The holiday shifted a lot during the 20th century into it's current form.

As for Santa Claus, that was another 20th century addition. He is loosely based on a saint. Children are taught (as one of the games that adults play) that he brings gifts for them on Christmas Eve. Many house holds leave milk and cookies out, some Dad's take a bite and drink half the milk to prove he exists. The toys are brought out and left in front of the Christmas tree after the kids go to bed (one of the pagan legacies).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Claus

May not make much sense, but it is fun. When the kids think to ask they are brought in on the conspiracy.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
That makes you nice guy,how a bout fruit cake,make of nuts dried fruit
without a lot bread. Its 1:30 eastern here,what time eastern there.